Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 4:36:53 PM EDT
Is there any special powder or loading instructions for reloading tracers?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm by no means an expert.  I just picked up some tracer bullets and reloaded a few hundred.  

From my experimenting I've found that using a powder charge somewhere closer to max than min would give better results. I'd imagine this has something to do with how full the cartridge is and how fast the powder burns?

Also, I've found if I don't put a decent crimp on them they are much less likely to light.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC there are recomended powders for better light rates. I think you'd need a hotter faster powder to ignite tracers. I had good luck using 2230 with my 20% light rate bullets. Actually, I got 100% light rate.
(I think they sent me the 90% by mistake)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a close to max load of H335 for my 55grain tracers I got from Wildeners.  Close to 80% light rate.  As noted above, I also put a decent crimp on them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#4]
It is suggested to use hotter powder to get reliable lighting.  That being said I've used AA2230, IMR 3031 and Varget.  I've had good success with 2230 with the 20% light ones.  Way better light rate than 20%.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I use H335 and BL-C2 in moderate loads without a problem
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top