Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2008 11:00:26 PM EDT
My Midway tumbler circa 1994 has definitely seen it's better day.  So...which ones do you like and why?  I'd like something far more quiet than what I have, with a pretty large capacity.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the Lyman Turbo 1200.  Affordable and reliable.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thumler's
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
You might want to contact midway about your current tumbler.  I just sent one back that I bought in 96 that died and they sent me a new.  Can't hurt to give them a call and maybe save some $.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thumler's

+1
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Sir, since you're asking for opinions, here's mine:  Dillon CV-2001.  I don't know if it's any quieter than any of the others already mentioned, but given the capacity who cares.  I finished about 500 .308 cases a few days ago and I've had it since the early '90s.  Value means more than just the original purchase price.  JMHO, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
You might want to contact midway about your current tumbler.  I just sent one back that I bought in 96 that died and they sent me a new.  Can't hurt to give them a call and maybe save some $.

W have 6 of these and 6 of the Dillon CV-2001.  The Dillons go out a lot more often than the Midway tumblers, both have always been replaced quickly.

You can't go wrong with either, it all depends on the size that you need.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I've been running a 1988 vintage RCBS Vibratory Case Cleaner, their big one.  

I've been annoyed as of late due to the lizard litter staying in flash holes.  The older midway media wasn't nearly so bad for that.  Therefore if my tumbler shit the bed, I'd think I'd try the Iosso chemical cleaner dip or one of the home brew liquids.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
My favorite is the one and only one I own a Thumler's Tumbler UV-18 bought way back when.  Hasn't died yet, when, no *if* it dies, I'll probably get the large Dillon tumbler or I have spare cash, the bigger Ultravibe UV-45

The '18

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two lyman tumblers. A 1200 that is about 17 years old and still going. I recently bought the 2500 mag and love it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The last time we went through this thread, it was Lyman by a slim margin over the Dillon, with the edge in the Lyman being that they're almost as long lived as a government program (eternal life).  There were a smattering of RCBS, Midway, and others, but not near as many all added together as the Lyman votes.

Remember, the best warranty is the one that you NEVER have to test.

Tom
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My Midway tumbler circa 1994 has definitely seen it's better day.  So...which ones do you like and why?  I'd like something far more quiet than what I have, with a pretty large capacity.

OK, I'm sending you my bill...   I get home today, stop in the garage, turn on my Midway tumbler that I bought  ~1992, go inside and upstairs, read this and a few threads, go downstairs to get ready for dinner, and passing by the garage door, hear...... nothing.  I went out there and it was dead in the water.  You jinxed me, man!    

After dinner, I went and looked at it - it appears that a wire to a connector broke, so hopefully I can get that fixed this weekend.  Buying another is out of the question right now - I still haven't told my wife that a $450 order of reloading supplies will show up tomorrow from Wideners.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]
        Bought a Lyman back in the 70's. Couple of years back it started sounding funny and after contemplating how many hours it had on it I just ordered another.
        Of course that act cured the funny noise so now I have two. Actually is kind of handy to have two.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
+2, Thumler's Tumbler UV-18.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#14]
My RCBS didn't last too long so I replaced it with a similar-size Hornady M2 that I bought used off a guy getting out of reloading.  It has lasted a long time and is decent enough.  Not any quieter than others I've seen though.

I will probably replace it with a Lyman when the day comes but this thread gives me some alternative options.

I am curious as to who REALLY makes some of the various "Reloading Brand Name" tumblers.  I am sure that most of these items are subcontracted and re-labeled.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sir, since you're asking for opinions, here's mine:  Dillon CV-2001.  I don't know if it's any quieter than any of the others already mentioned, but given the capacity who cares.  I finished about 500 .308 cases a few days ago and I've had it since the early '90s.  Value means more than just the original purchase price.  JMHO, 7zero1.

I have a Midway from the mid nineties. Last year I decided to get another one for added capacity/backup. The dupe of my original one had just been discontinued. The current Midway tumbler is MUCH noisier than the original, and after about a month one of the wires broke- NBD to fix, but probably an indication of things to come.

I plan to give the small Dillon a try if and when I replace one of mine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my Thumbler tumbler. The belt drive and motor are pretty quiet, and the heavy rubber drum cuts noise down pretty well. I keep it in the furnace room downstairs and close the door. Can't hear it anywhere else.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I dont know if this is normal for companies to do, but my lyman tumbler has a little fan under it to help keep the motor cool and circulate air.  I figure little things like this is what ends up making a tumbler better than another one.  I've been very happy with it so far, although haven't really put it to any huge tests yet. I have one of the larger models (but too lazy to go to the other room and look...  it has a black bowl if that helps).

Just dont waste your money on the one with the drainage spout.  Everyone says it doesn't work that well and you're better off just dumping the contents into your sifter.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
They all seem to work as they were designed to, but the Dillon is my favorite because of the volume it can handle. When their all running it gets a bit noisey, then it's safety glasses and ear plugs

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
One more vote for the Lyman 2500 . I like that it will run with the lid off . I can sort brass and drop them in as its cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Dillon hands down for me.  I've only got the 500 but in my opinion it's the Rolls Royce of tumblers.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Lyman 2500 Turbo here and love it.  I only have probably 200 hours on it, but what more could you ask for?  And I got it on sale for like $62.

Running with the lid off and outside seems to help the media last longer too, lets all the dust out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a Lyman that died in record time (1 week after warranty expired). I called Lyman and they refused to help me. I refused to buy another. Went with a Dillon and love it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I'm sending you my bill...   I get home today, stop in the garage, turn on my Midway tumbler that I bought  ~1992, go inside and upstairs, read this and a few threads, go downstairs to get ready for dinner, and passing by the garage door, hear...... nothing.  I went out there and it was dead in the water.  You jinxed me, man!    

After dinner, I went and looked at it - it appears that a wire to a connector broke, so hopefully I can get that fixed this weekend.  Buying another is out of the question right now - I still haven't told my wife that a $450 order of reloading supplies will show up tomorrow from Wideners.  

I just jury-rigged my old Midway back up with a few splices and she is humming again.  Now to see how long that lasts...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top