Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2008 3:36:39 PM EDT
I picked this up the other day and was reading through the 308 pages.  They show (on page 457) a Spitz BTSP 165 grain with a balllistic coefficient of 0.520.  I was like wow that might be a great solution for long range shooting paper and actually using it on deer.  I look at the speer website and find the speer part number only to find out that the website claims that the balistic coefficient of 0.477.

Which do I believe?  I'm leaning towards the website because they are able to update it.  I was wondering if they can make that mistake what else did they typo in the manual.  Anyways does anyone know for sure which is correct.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a third source and the suspect the one that's out of synch
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Speer #12 lists .477 for that bullet.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
As a former editor I will say that it is most likely a mistake...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Things that affect MEASURED BC:

Atmospheric pressure
Humidity
Temperature
Velocity
Wind
Twist rate
Barrel condition
Pressure curve
Rifling type
Throat dimensions
Seating damage

You see how errors can propogate?  And it makes sense to note the above conditions when testing.  A good altimeter and hygrometer may be more useful than a chronograph, if you have the range.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
About a month ago there was a thread here about speer redoing it's BC testing and some numbers were quite a bit higher than old manuals.  

I believe some posters said something like; salesmanship and playing with formulas to give big numbers.  kinda like the government and our inflation and other vital statistics.

ETA- I believe the poster in that other thread called Speer and got the we retested things answer from them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Errors in published reloading manuals are certainly not unknown, that's why I ALWAYS have multiple sources for reloading info, so they can be cross referenced against each other to make sure you have a safe load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top