Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2012 7:43:05 PM EDT
Hello all, have one of the first generation GSG5's and while using the 10 round mags(brand new) it fails to fire 2 of 10 rounds, the 2 rounds looks like they had light primer strikes. After running those 2 rounds through again, they fire. It will always fire the 8 of 10 rounds flawless, but there is always the 2 FTF's at different times, could be the first round, last round, fifth round.. you get it. This has happened with 5 different types of ammo as well, all good stuff.

Whats the Diagnosis?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe there is an issue with light firing pin strikes.

IIRC there is a DIY thread somewhere that shows a way to "increase strength" of firing pin.

I personally have "I believe" a 2nd gen GSG5SD (prelawsuit version) and do not have this problem.

Hope this is helpful.

EDITED TO ADD: Link to Firing Pin DIY
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I am having the same problem with my gsg 5pk as we speak abut FTf , I have called and left messages to ATI and no luck as they won't return any of it. Pos gsg will never buy or touch any of their products again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I just had the same problem with my PK.  I tried to get them to send me a new style firing pin but after 3 weeks of them promising it to me (and it never showing up), I gave up and just ordered one for $30.  They don't even answer my emails.  When I call to ask them why, they tell my that my emails get stuck in their spam folder.  Why don't they check their spam folder once a day?  Probably because that's a bunch of BS.

My PK was doing the exact same thing, light primer strikes and when you would put it back in the gun to try it again, I would fire the second time.  I ordered a new firing pin (kit) for $30, did the firing pin mod listed on this site, changed all the screws to machine screws (RRAGES) and applied blue loctite to everything.  You should also make sure that no screws on your gun have come loose.

I still can only shoot federal ammo, it wont even load winchester, but i can shoot a whole box of 550 rnds of federal and not have one FTF.

Does my GSG shoot correctly now?  Yes -after about 20 hours worth of work into it, but I can only shoot one type of ammo reliably.

After seeing how ATI treats it's customers, would I ever buy another GSG?  No -absolutely not.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
while it looks pretty cool the gsg guns are garbage
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Seems that way.  I never bought a gun that I had to do that much work to, just to get it to fire without jamming.  I also never got the runaround when trying to get spare parts for any of my guns.  My GSG is the ONLY guy that I own that I don't "trust".

I use it as a toy to plink with at the range, but there is no way in hell I would ever rely on it for personal defense.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought one from AIM 2 weeks ago, the gun runs like a dream(550 rounds of fed bulk pack)..  I called them to inquire about a 9 inch barrel to make mine a sbr and they answered all my questions within 5 minutes including my dialing the number. I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Neither did I when I dealt with them with my 110 round drum magazine, I sent it out on a Friday and got the new one back on the following Monday.  It was every dealing I had with them after that that left a bad impression.  I've read of others that didnt get the drum back for a few months.  

I'm not sure what their deal is, but they certainly aren't consistent.  I thought highly of them too at one point, but it's all been down hill since my first dealing with them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Gentlemen..
Please let me apologize for customer service,We have had a few guys leave and their replacements are now getting up to speed. There are only 3 guy's up there trying to serve apx. 750.000 GSG customers.
We try taking care of everybody in a timely fashion but some will always slip through the cracks.
As far as the light strike issue.First make sure the barrel lock stud has not loosened up and allowed the barrel to back it's self out of the breech block causing a head space issue,second check and make sure there is not a severe build up of lead and powder on the face of the bolt and breech block,Third.If it is a first generation it should have the new style firing pin installed,The new one allows a little more forward travel.Most times ..believe it or not it happens from being just plain dirty,If everything is coated with lead and powder and you start spraying oil into it all of that crap will turn to paste.This is just a few options and i hope it helps.I have seen almost everything in the 3 years of working on the gsg line.
Mike Cummings
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Will ATI provide us with the free new style firing pin upgrades or will this come out of our own pockets?
I have the older style PK
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Barrel looks good, and ive cleaned the whole thing over and over, its spotless. I will be ordering the factory repair kit for it to see if that works.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#11]
The only pins that need replacing would be the first generation guns,The model with the solid cocking tube assembly. all PK's are ok
Mike C
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nonsense.

My GSG5 bought in 2009 has had well over 6000 rounds through it with the only FTF due to defective rounds.

Don't spout-off about a gun that you obviously don't have any experience with.

Some ill-informed individuals might just believe you.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonsense.

My GSG5 bought in 2009 has had well over 6000 rounds through it with the only FTF due to defective rounds.

+1. Love mine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 love mine to, tell you guys what if you hate them so bad ill buy them for $100 a piece since they suck so bad its a pretty fair deal. seriously though every gun has issues and if your willing to work through these things, learn how your firearms operate, and then you realize how to overcome and fix issues. i suggest readig the stickies and doing all of them you can. theyve helped me take nonfunctioning second hand gsgs and turn them into truly well operating firearms with no issues. ive always had more issues out of rimfire .22s than any other caliber.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonsense.

+1. Love mine.

+2...I have a first gen....I did the screw mod, and added a cocking piece buffer....and it runs 100% and eats whatever I feed it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonsense.

+1. Love mine.

+2...I have a first gen....I did the screw mod, and added a cocking piece buffer....and it runs 100% and eats whatever I feed it.

I haven't done any mods to mine since I bought it in March '09 except for the collapsable stock and replacing the take-down screws with pins and it still works as advertised.

ATI has the BEST customer service in the business.

Suggest you try one before you dump on it.

Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top