Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 11/1/2009 2:17:11 PM EDT
I've been a long time reader after buying my 3rd AR, and decided to join after purchasing and shooting the GSG-5.

First time out I ran 200 CCI rounds through it before switching to the Wally World Federal bulk 550 rd. bricks.  The first time out I fired roughly 280 through her, with only one mishap.  Half way through a mag it fed one in the chamber of the barrel, click, nothing.  Bolt came back and tried to feed a second round.  NO biggie.  

Went out for a second time yesterday and shot only Fed bulk.  Out of 500 rounds I had 10 failures, a few were double feed (as described above), and a few where the casing would get caught when the bolt/carrier would slam back forward.  The latter seemed to only happen during rapid fire.  

With less than a 1000 rounds through her she seems quite dirty and lead fowled.  I tore her down last night and completely cleaned the rifle.  Everything was completely disassembled besides the lower.  Being I do not have any synthetic grease for the bolt/carrier assembly and not wanting to use remoil I used a VERY light coating of bearing grease.  It is not petroleum based.  

I am hoping after this extensive cleaning that these failures will lessen.  Does ten FTF/FTE out of 500 sound excessive?  Maybe not, but it bothered me.

Anyone see a problem with using a VERY light coat of automotive bearing grease on the metal/metal friction areas as a temporary lubricant?  I run one patch of remoil through the barrel after cleaning with Hoppes 9.  

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

-Ray
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
tag for cleaning info
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
10 is too many imho.....at the most with name brand mags....screw kit...and proper cleaning you should see 1 to 2 outta of 1000.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you mean tag cleaning info?

My gsg does not have the screw kit.  The bolt screws were tight on teardown.  The hex screw behinh the stock for the bolt stop plate was loose upon teardown.  Also the set screw for the barel behind the foregrip was loose.  

I will be locktighting all of the internal fasteners.  The ejector plate is riveted solid.  The federal ammo really appears to have gummed this sucker up.  I'm hoping a quick bolt teardown clean and lube every 500 rounds or so can keep her running like a singer sewing machine!

How often are you vets cleaning and lubing?

What's the concensus on me using the wheel bearing grease for this assembly this one time?   I'm hoping she runs a lot better after all this.  It shot great the first time out.  It was quite dirty to my standards after the second time out, however.  

Btw I am using a factory mag.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
i only use clp on my internal parts......as for fed bulk, it sucks in my 2 pks.  With the loose backplate, loose front screws i am real surprised it only 10 ftfs.
Once i locked mine up with proper screws, switched to factory mags and mini mags/winc ammo, i can 1 to 2k b/t ftfs. Granite i clean every 200 or so with  cue tips and bore brush.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What do you mean tag cleaning info?

He wants to know how often or well you clean the gun, IMO.

My gsg does not have the screw kit.  The bolt screws were tight on teardown.  The hex screw behinh the stock for the bolt stop plate was loose upon teardown.  Also the set screw for the barel behind the foregrip was loose.

The screw kit will eliminate a LOT of evil in the GSG, IMO.  

How often are you vets cleaning and lubing?

I clean mine EVERY time I shoot more than 1 mag thru it. I won't strip the bolt down but I will remove it & spray it with Gun Scrub until it's clean. Then I use a pipe cleaner to coat oil on EVERYTHING inside the receiver tube that's metal. IOW, the entire bolt, rails & inside of the receiver gets a thorough coating of CLP.

What's the concensus on me using the wheel bearing grease for this assembly this one time?

I ran gun grease once in mine. It was like it had molasses on it.  

Keep in mind the .22 is both a low pressure as well as a low temp rd. IOW it won't heat up a bolt like a .223 will, so grease on a bolt is just too much for the bolt to overtake, IMO.

My .o2

Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top