Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2008 3:24:35 PM EDT
Hey everyone.  I just got a GSG-5 and I want to get a picatinny low mount for it.  Right now I think I want to get a Burris FastFire sight.

I assumed I'd get a GSG mount, but there are many more out there.  If you are using a mount please list your likes and dislikes.  Please tell where you got it as I'm looking for good places to buy too.

Include pictures if you have them.

If you have opinions on the Burris FastFire please give those too.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Going through the Official GSG pic thread it looks like the NcSTAR and G&G mounts are the most popular.  Both were said to go on with no problems.

Opticsplanet has the NcSTAR for $10:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-mp5-setme-scope-mount-low-mdmp5.html

The G&G seems to look nicer, but I think it is about $50.  I'm not seeing too many places to buy it.  There are some great pictures of the G&G mount being used here in Speedinc's post:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=237743&page=10

I didn't see anyone using the Burris FastFire.  I just found out they have a winged protector mount for it too :

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently picked up the NcStar low profile mount for my version 2 GSG-5 and I noticed that it sits off to the right.  Other folks have stated that on the V1 the fit is good but V2 is a little skewed.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks NeedAclip.  I'll see soon.  I ordered the NcSTAR mount, Burris FastFire, and the winged FastFire protector mount.  I got them at Opticsplanet because they had all the items and it seemed at a decent price.  Normally I go with SWFA.com, but they didn't have the NcSTAR mount or other MP5 mounts and were priced a little higher on the protector mount.

I had to get the winged protector mount so I could go mall ninja all the way
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Let us know how the mount works out for you.  Maybe I just got a lemon.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the G&G mount. Not recommended.

While it is well designed to mate with the receiver using claws, the machining of the mount is very poor.

3 out of the 4 screw locations were machined too thin, and broke when the screws are tightened.

Only 1 had at least some 1/16" of material left to hold the screw, the rest had less and just broke off.

The NCStar is a much more durable mount, and is similar to what is provided as a factory mount (at oh about $100.-) I wonder if it's the exact same product  

I should've purchased it from Optics planet <dooh>
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Are you sure you got a real G&G mount?  Was it in G&G packaging when you received it?  I have never heard anyone complain about the G&G mount but the other cheap knockoffs were breaking as you described.  I really cranked mine on and I saw it starting to peel away the coating on my GSG and the mount still didn't break.
You know, I'm not sure, I got it from this outfit: http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=598&products_id=566

Is it the real one? If not, where can I purchase the real G&G mount?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I was sold the Official Low Profile Mount...  and a cheap optic for it...  later returned the optic, at which point i noticed the skew.

After a lot of searching, I determined that "This is just how it is"...

Examination showed that the coating on the front-most those two squared metal tabs was worn a bit from contact with the slot in the mount - mmm.

I got out a VERY fine metal file, and whisked the coating off, and squared the tab.  Probably shaved all of 1/2 mm.

The mount is now perfectly centered and level.  Slapped a holosight on their (hey, look at the nickname ;>), and a bore sighting test was like wow, at 30 yds, almost on the money with no adjustments.  Sweet.

Now, I think I would LOVE to have one of those wee extenders, that provide a direct view with the iron sights if one wants, for fun/practice/backup.  They look to be about $20 on ebay, but I don't know the quality of any given model (CNCed metal, plastic, junk), advice?

Got a kit with a new buffer, and screws, and such coming.  Can't wait.

Also can't wait to find a decent 3-point sling (also for fun, and ease of carry).  In particular, these  guys look like they have something useful: http://www.urbanertslings.com/3point.html and one could use it on other items as well.

Holo
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the NcSTAR mount, the Burris FastFire and the winged Burris protector mount yesterday.  It only took Opticsplanet 2 days to ship using UPS ground.

The NcSTAR mount looks like good quality annodized aluminum, pretty much as good as anything I've bought for a firearm.  The mount needed a little surgery to get it to fit right on the GSG-5.  The bottom of the mount has a little slot in it that I had to deepen part of another .030 inch.  The slot didn't seem too accessible to grind out with a Dremel.  I'd recommend making a small chisel by grinding a chisel point on a long 1/16 to 1/8 diameter drill bit.  You can dig out the center portion of the slot and none of your work will be seen from the side.  Using such a chisel it should only take a few minutes to cut the clearance.  I did most of the chiseling tediously with a small screwdriver.

Without chiseling out the clearance the NcSTAR mount was off center a bit.  With the clearance cut and the mount seated properly on top of the receiver the mount became centered.

I also had to grind out a little clearance in one of the top slots to get the Burris mount to seat properly.  That went quickly using a Dremel and a small cutoff wheel.  I only had to take off very little, .020 or less.  None of this grinding is visible once the sight is on.  I'm sure glad the mount was only $10.

I like the winged protector mount.  The protector part is made of 1/16 aluminum and looks very strong.  It should do a great job of protecting the sight.  It looks cool too.

Everything is together and looks great.  Sorry, no pics.  I like the Burris FastFire.  I can get a good cheek weld on the rifle with the dot just a bit above the front sight ring.  No co-witnessing though.  I can definately see the front sight ring.  I hope that doesn't get annoying.  So far I would recommend this set up.  It would have been nice if everything just popped on though.

Edited to add:

It sounds like Holo and I had the same problem with the NcSTAR mount.  The part of the receiver he filed down is the part that goes into the slot where I chiseled clearance.  It would have been easier to file down that small part of  the receiver, but I'd rather cut on the mount.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now, I think I would LOVE to have one of those wee extenders, that provide a direct view with the iron sights if one wants, for fun/practice/backup.  They look to be about $20 on ebay, but I don't know the quality of any given model (CNCed metal, plastic, junk), advice?

I bought one of these from ebay - perfectly happy with it.

It was about $17U.S. including shipping from hong kong.

http://members.cox.net/mailbox6/rail.jpg

EDIT: added installed pics

Here it is installed with a cheapy truglo sight.

http://members.cox.net/mailbox6/rail2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/mailbox6/rail3.jpg

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Holo,

I've got an Urban-E.R.T. sling on my PS90 and love it.  They make quality slings.  Let us know how you like yours if you get one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Holo,

I re-read your post.  Who made the "Official Low Profile Mount" that you got?  If it was GSG I'd find it funny that their own mount had clearance problems.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Choadlywan,

Thanks for the pics.  I like the idea of being able to see the sights, but I don't think I'd like the sight up that high
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't think I would either... then I tried it.

It makes for an upright, non neck bent over shooting stance.

I like it. It's much more natural, to me, to stand straight with both eyes open... that way the rifle fits me, instead of me fitting the rifle.

That's why I bought it, not because of the iron sights being available... although that's nice.

I'll try get some shots of me holding it and sighting with it, to give a better idea of what it looks like.

Bear in mind, I'm 6'4" and about 275. My wife calls me ogre-sized. I'm told this thing looks like a tinker toy in my bear paws.

I've used the iron sights for the last 2500+ rds, and they're bang on (pardon the pun) at 50 yrds, shooting 1.5" groups.

I like that this lets me use those in a pinch...

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember a promotional video for the P90 saying that its high sight was an advantage in that it kept your head up.  I haven't noticed my head being up or down on my PS90.  With the high sight I do remember only being able to get a chin weld instead of a cheek weld.  I like the idea of keeping the sight as low to the boreline as possible for accuracy at various ranges.  I've been trying as hard as I can to get my PS90 sight as low as I can
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Holo,

I re-read your post.  Who made the "Official Low Profile Mount" that you got?  If it was GSG I'd find it funny that their own mount had clearance problems.

Yah, it appears to be a Gen-1 official GSG mount; that's all the shop had, and they swear that's the ONLY mount that will fit.  LOL.

So, of course, I was flummoxed.  After a ton of googling, I read several instances of this very issue, but the only offered solutions was to buy something with a 4 way generic MP5 mount that didn't touch the upper.  mmm, so not worth $50 ;)

Since it's a pretty quality claw, and the CNC'ing on THAT seems *perfect*, well, i had a closer look at the upper.  not.  quite.  square.  zip zip zip.  done.  it'll likely never remove the mount, so... :)

Holo
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top