Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 8/23/2017 5:30:30 PM EDT
What is the current, must have, pocket sized field sharpener for keeping edges crisp?

I've got a spyderco doublestuff in my amazon cart, but cant help but wonder if there is a better option. Budget: Under $75.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Double Sided Diafold® Diamond Sharpener?  I carry one of those with my carbon steel Helle Temagami.

Maybe a small field hone and compound if you're really OCD.

I think you could make a cool field sharpening kit by using a strip of something light and stiff for a handle and substrate/base, a strip of mouse pad glued to one side and a selection of adhesive backed abrasive paper or film cut to the proper length and width.  Unfortunately, as far as I know, no one makes or sells anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the WorkSharp field sharpener.
View Quote
I've looked at this a few times, my only hangup on it, is that it seems so much larger than any other field sharpener, with the only added "feature" over a pocket stone and a pocket strop being edge guides, which I doubt i'd use or need anyways.

However.. it is only $30
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is the current, must have, pocket sized field sharpener for keeping edges crisp?

I've got a spyderco doublestuff in my amazon cart, but cant help but wonder if there is a better option. Budget: Under $75.
View Quote

I bought one of those Smith's dual sided diamond hones--fine and coarse, that you find at ChinaMart for $15.  I have a Dan's wetstone, which is smaller and fits in a pocket.

That's the best I'm gonna do.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-DRET-Diamond-Retractable-Sharpener/dp/B001910FOA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503531571&sr=8-3&keywords=diamond+sharpener+rod

for field use, I keep one of these with every knife I own. $7

A little higher end, with a leather belt sheath:

https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-4-Inch-Diamond-Sharpener-Handle/dp/B000UVNT8Y/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1503531571&sr=8-11&keywords=diamond+sharpener+rod

$20

Key words are "Field use". The idea is light, inexpensive so you don't hurt if you lose it, and convenient, so you always have one, for touching up an already sharp blade as you use it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've looked at this a few times, my only hangup on it, is that it seems so much larger than any other field sharpener, with the only added "feature" over a pocket stone and a pocket strop being edge guides, which I doubt i'd use or need anyways.

However.. it is only $30
View Quote
Coarse and fine diamond stone plates that can be flipped over for storage. Three position ceramic rod, a smaller ceramic for serrations and a strop. I've found it to be a handy littke sharpener.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Coarse and fine diamond stone plates that can be flipped over for storage. Three position ceramic rod, a smaller ceramic for serrations and a strop. I've found it to be a handy littke sharpener.
View Quote
I've got one in the mail. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll report back in a week or so with my impressions!
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, mail to APO's means it took a month and not a week to get here, but I got my work sharp field sharpener in, and must admit, I really like it. Initially, I tried using their angle guides, but found it awkward to hold flat and keep the blade consistant across the sharpening stroke. I've taken to holding the knife in my hand, vertically, and using the angle-finder to hold the sharpener near vertical (rotated to match the 20 degree guide) and using downward strokes on the blade. I have brought all of my knives from paper cutting/mangling sharp, to shaving sharp, and actually managed a hair whittling edge on my PM2.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I'm very pleased with my purchase. Anyone one the fence, this little guy is worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A little higher end, with a leather belt sheath:

https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-4-Inch-Diamond-Sharpener-Handle/dp/B000UVNT8Y/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1503531571&sr=8-11&keywords=diamond+sharpener+rod

$20

Key words are "Field use". The idea is light, inexpensive so you don't hurt if you lose it, and convenient, so you always have one, for touching up an already sharp blade as you use it.
View Quote
+1
EZE-Lap Model M

Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
For a field stone, I like the puck shaped ones best.  I just find the shape easier to hold for touching up everything like knives and axes.

The little spike sharpeners are great for fishhooks, serrated blades, and stuff like that.  If sized correctly, you could probably touch up a chain as well, but I carry the right tools with my saws (if you are hauling around a saw, oil, fuel, spare blades, why wouldn't you bring a field sharpener?).
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a pocket hone and black compound from DLT in my BOB.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm currently in Afghanistan, and the two sharpeners I routinely pack are the Gatco Tri-Seps and Fallkniven DC4.  These provide a wide range of expedient sharpening options.  If you really need to profile your blade, that diamond side on the DC4 is superb.  I've used it also for field sharpening machetes; another option are the DMT Duo-fold sharpeners.  I still would like to pick up a small strop with compound.  When you have some time, you can really put a razor's edge on your blades.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I just saw the Kellam Leather Strop in the Piragis Boundary Waters Catalog.    It's pretty big, though.

This is a great leather strop tool for that finishing touch that goes a step beyond the capabilities of stone sharpening. It is four strips of specially prepared leather, attached to a 4-sided stick. Great for micro-aligning the edge of your blade for that razor sharp finishing touch. Great for keeping your puukko knife extremely sharp between tasks. Just 4 steps to a dangerously sharp finishing touch. Includes 3 abrasive compounds for each step in the sharpening process.
View Quote
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top