Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2016 11:19:40 AM EDT
I'm shopping for a nice folding EDC carry knife for a buddy for Christmas.  I'm not very knowledgeable about knives and my EDC is just a simple Griptillian.  My buddy is into knives and has alot of them.  Most of his knives are really big fixed blade knives though and I don't think he has much in the way of EDC so I thought that might be nice for him.

I'm looking for something that would be a real treat.  Something that is a REALLY nice EDC folder.  As far as features that I'm looking for I really couldn't say.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#1]
There are fancier and more expensive knives, but for me, the Osborne (Green, satin blade, non serrated) gets the call 9 days out of 10.  It's just a great all around knife, and with every new knife I end up with, I end up loving the Osborne even more.

http://www.benchmade.com/940-943-family.html
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
What's your budget?

Blade length?

Assisted opening? Automatic? Flipper? Manual?

Plain edge? Serrated? Combo edge?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Budget?

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses so far :)

I left out the budget as I really didn't have any idea what my budget was.  Just as a ballpark, probably somewhere between $100-$200.  Less than $100 would be better but I have no idea what a reasonable expectation of price is for a good EDC knife.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses so far :)

I left out the budget as I really didn't have any idea what my budget was.  Just as a ballpark, probably somewhere between $100-$200.  Less than $100 would be better but I have no idea what a reasonable expectation of price is for a good EDC knife.
View Quote
Cheaper ($100 or so)
Spyderco Delica 4
Spyderco PM2
Benchmade something or the other

Higher ($200 or so)
Zero tolerance of your choice.

The ZT is a better knife all around, but heavier and thicker blades.  The spyderco options I posted are my favorite EDC folders, and I have 2 ZTs that I can pick from.  The ZT quality is better than the spydercos I posted, but they are 2x the price (give or take).  The Spydercos I posted are better all around folders for someone who uses a knife to cut/slice things on a daily basis, whereas the ZTs are better if you abuse your knives more than using them more for slicing/cutting/etc.

I don't know a lot about benchmade knives outside of a few examples that have passed through my hands.  They were good but in general, Benchmade the company pisses me off in how they do business.  I can't necessarily blame them but at the same time it is what it is and I don't think I should have to send it back to get an omega spring replaced when they can more easily ship me one and let me fix it myself.  I also try to avoid MFGs that do MAP like Benchmade.  I know that a lot of knife mfgs do it, but Benchmade's effort at MAP is much more noticeable than others.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
In no order of preference, but all are great EDC knives.

Benchmade 940
Spyderco Gayle Bradley
Zero Tolerance 0770CF

I bought my son a ZT 0450CF for his birthday and it is a great knife as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My two EDCs as of late; both are smaller blades but do daily tasks just fine, as pocket real estate is limited.

Boker MiniAK(S30v)
Spyderco Sage 5
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Delica4, dragonfly, lady/manbug, tenacious.I'd love to watch a bud open up a pm2, but for a gift knife I'd stick around $40-$65.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Damascus Leek.
Leek
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are fancier and more expensive knives, but for me, the Osborne (Green, satin blade, non serrated) gets the call 9 days out of 10.  It's just a great all around knife, and with every new knife I end up with, I end up loving the Osborne even more.

http://www.benchmade.com/940-943-family.html
View Quote

FPNI as usual.  Came here to post this.  I have a bunch of nice folders(Hinderer, Sebenzas, Benchmades, etc), but the 940 seems to ALWAYS end up in my pocket!  I just love everything about it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
My last few folding/EDC knives:

EnZo Birk 75 (classy w/some nice options.)  $100-$110.

Spyderco PM II S110v (GF got it for me last Valentine's.)  ~$150 shipped.

Helle Dokka folder (trilaminate SS, burl wood scales.)  ~$140 shipped.

I'm looking for a companion Spyderco Native in S110v steel, or the Manix in the same.  ~$130.

I like the blur-ple G10 scales.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for pitching in and giving some advice and opinions :)  I've looked up most of the referenced ideas in here and there are some really nice knives.  I'm not sure which one I'm going to go with yet.  I'm going to have to bookmark this thread for my own use after Christmas, I may have to get myself a new EDC ;)

Thanks and Merry Christmas :)
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Lionsteel TRE - just the g10 version which is a straight flipper. Mine is orange but black is popular.

https://www.collectorknives.net/lion-steel-tre/
(there is an ebay seller that beat that price on best offer)

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Spyderco Paramilitary 2 CPM-S110V blade steel

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top