Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/18/2016 2:29:45 PM EDT
Had a gift card at Bass Pro and instead of getting a knife a grabbed the combo kit. Any tips of suggestions? I experimented with our beat up kitchen knifes first before trying out better stock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up one a few months back but haven't gotten to use it all that much.

I did run my kitchen knives (1095 Old Hickory's) on it. They came out sharper than ever but I still don't have them where I want them.

Watch the video and experiment a little. It will happen in time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did run my kitchen knives (1095 Old Hickory's) on it. They came out sharper than ever but I still don't have them where I want them.

View Quote

I think my dad has used it as much as I have, after a little practice all my knives have been sharper than ever, and only my EDC knife ever gets a few moments of time anymore
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to watch the video because I just jumped into it after reading the directions.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think my dad has used it as much as I have, after a little practice all my knives have been sharper than ever, and only my EDC knife ever gets a few moments of time anymore
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The video doesn't give any "more" info than the directions but it does visualize the directions.

Plus the guide chart helps out a lot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The video doesn't give any "more" info than the directions but it does visualize the directions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think some of the youtube videos I watched before getting it helped some, mostly just helped me be more efficient from the get-go
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It has a tendency to pull the knife down when the tip comes past the guide. It is super easy and quick and makes a good edge. Use some junkers first for practice.

Dont lay into the tip- let up the trigger when you get close to the tip so you dont round it off.

Once its sharp it seems as tbougb you can strop it with the extremely fine belt. I like mine a lot but its easy to get carried awaym take it slow and dont use the really rough belts just to touch up an edge.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine only has one speed and came with two identical belts. I'll have to see if there are other belts at Bass Pro that I can swap out. After wathing the video I got much better results than when I first started.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I know cabelas sells belt kits. Probably cheaper on amazon. I need a new set of belts myself after I reprofiled a spyderco I had laying around.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Will this type of sharpener work on scandi grinds? Or does a scandi require a different typed of sharpening method?

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
1. Turn it off when the blade tip is halfway across the belt. If you pull the blade tip all the way across the belt it can round the tip.

2. Get an assorted pack of belts and a leather strop belt on amazon.

3. Become obsessed with making every edged object in the house able to shave your arm!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
LOL I  would but the kids abuse the shit out of the kitchen tossing them in the sink and dumping dishes on them.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top