Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 8/23/2015 11:43:36 PM EDT
I made my first knife from a pre-hardened and tempered elmax blank from USA knife maker and it turned out ok. I made a bunch of mistakes and ended up experimenting in trying to fix them (hence the slight reprofile from the new blank on top). Thankfully l got keeping it cool correct and the heat treat is still good. It sharpened up very nicely and passed some wood battoning and digging with the tip.
One thing I didn't figure out was why my micarta was showing the pattern how it is... The mesh that is. Was the area near the front pin from overheating? I've sanded up through 40 to 1200 grit and it hasn't effected it at all. Even tried a suggestion of sanding with WD40 and it seemed to help define the rest of the pattern better but not help with the tighter mesh pattern... It also seems as though a lot of the fibers are clouding or smearing the pattern..

Anyways, did I overheat it? I tried to keep it cool by dunking when it got hot from the belt sander.
Pictures: http://m.imgur.com/IhH6hD6,uYDg8XG
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no clue about knife making, but that looks damn good.

I'll be entirely honest, that I cannot figure out what blemish in the micarta you see.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a canvas based micarta.  I think what you're calling a blemish is just the pattern of the canvas as you sand through one layer and into another.  If you'd burned it, it will turn the fibers a light smoky reddish color.  I wouldn't take micarta more than 400 grit anyway.  If you want it polished, you can go from 400 straight to your polishing wheel using a white rouge.  Personally, I finish most of mine (especially canvas) to 320 or 400 by hand with new sharp paper and then wipe it down with mineral oil or linseed oil.  It gives a nice matte finish that really brings out the texture of the canvas base.

It looks like you've got a good start on making knives.  That's a nice looking handle without the blocky look that most newbies give their handles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, maybe i'm missing it but the scales look like canvas micarta scales should look.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Uh, what seems to be the problem?  Id pay money for that
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I agree with the above, I don't see any burn marks I think you're fine OP.

For a first try at handle making you did very well. Much much better than my first attempt. I say keep on working at it and maybe find yourself some old files to attempt to make your own blade. Old files are great to start with because you learn the basics of annealing, normalizing, quenching, and tempering all at once and for very little money. Or you can go the much easier route with 1084 from NJSB.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uh, what seems to be the problem?  Id pay money for that
View Quote

This.  Looks like a well made knife.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks good to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Those handles look good, nice job.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top