Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2015 4:41:03 PM EDT
I'm looking for a fixed blade self defense full tang knife. I'm wanting to stay between the $400-$700 range. What are some good options?

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any training? Different knives for different styles of fighting. I would also venture that if you do it's not much otherwise you would ask for suggestions of who makes a good karambit, balisong, etc, etc. No condescension, I  vaguely remember what I learned in the Marines, but but I have learned a bit here. I would suggest something sharp as Hell and light weight instead of one of the monstrous field knives that are currently in style.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nice
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice

I own an American Kami and have had hands on a few Dynamiks.  Quality of both is outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I own an American Kami and have had hands on a few Dynamiks.  Quality of both is outstanding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice

Holy cow do you know how to make a knife...pictures on your website say it all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, but I don't make knives.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice

Sorry my friend. I left out the "an" when I read your reply quickly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice

I love my Dynamiks
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Medford Emporer ... several available options

I own one and can't hardly say how good this knife feels in the hand.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:02:32 AM EDT
[#10]
What does an $800 knife do that an ESEE or Swamp Rat can't do?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Empty your bank account faster!    ...also gives the owner a feeling of having a "better" knife...
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look pretty ... but nothing wrong with that.

The knives of Kikuo Matsuda are generally at the upper end (or a bit above) of the desired price range.

The following knives were "a special project for Japanese SWAT team to turn out the toughest and powerful knife, yet compact size and weight to carry.  Kiku was chosen and involved with this project from the beginning for the design work, prototypes and field testing.  After months of working, he finally came up with the perfect knives to meet with their extreme demands.  His grinding technique and special Hamaguri-ba made it possible. Reinforced thick Hamaguri grind tip is strong enough to penetrate  wall and  car body, and pry open the door and window."

I own his Hasinau Kamui drop point hunter.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Chris Reeves Pacific knife.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Gecko45 approved?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#15]
What's the point of this knife?

You gonna CCW it?

Something that gonna sit on a SHTF belt/plate carrier for a day that never comes?

Be a badass pig sticker that's gonna be nothing more than a skinning knife?

Plenty of knives around $100 and under that will do the job without pumping the ego.

If it's a CCW type of knife then that's a different story and you need to point that out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Empty your bank account faster!    ...also gives the owner a feeling of having a "better" knife...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh...if you were into knives, there's a noticeable difference. Good steel will take a lot of use before requiring sharpening. If you want to just baton and split small logs, you can just sharpen an old lawn mower blade and call it a day. Custom, high end knives are often over-priced, but they do have their place.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Eh...if you were into knives, there's a noticeable difference. Good steel will take a lot of use before requiring sharpening. If you want to just baton and split small logs, you can just sharpen an old lawn mower blade and call it a day. Custom, high end knives are often over-priced, but they do have their place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with everything you said...  however, in my small collection I have some knives made of very good steel...  I even have a few "high end" japanese kitchen knives - but I've never paid more than $200 for a knife.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Find a guy from Mexico/SOCal named Ed on bladeforums.com if you want a serious answer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:28:54 AM EDT
[#20]
google Strider knives. They are a beast. Best warranty in the industry
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for Strider.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I sort of want this
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another vote for Strider.
View Quote

Great quality knives. I'm just not a fan of their infamous tiger stripes design.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#24]
There are plenty of better choices than strider. Sorry.

And the warranty is crap. Took over 2 months for me to get a knife back from their "spa" and it didn't even get fixed. In fact it's lock was stickier than when I sent it in. Customer service was kinda rude if they returned my emails at all. You can't even take them apart or it'll void coverage. No thanks.

Chris reeve, ZT, anything listed above, he'll I'd even recommend Benchmade over Strider.

Also look at Grayman - awesome fixed blades and really nice people. But heavy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think ESEE has the best warranty and the company isn't run by felons with sketchy backgrounds who enjoy being rude to customers
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think ESEE has the best warranty and the company isn't run by felons with sketchy backgrounds who enjoy being rude to customers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure there's a company out there specializing in high-end custom prison shivs.  For a price.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#27]
What about Busse Combat line? I have the Badger Attack 3 and Active Duty. Both in Infi steel. Those and some of my other favs if the world ended tomorrow. These and the others are all high end knives. From $250-800ish.

Badger Attack 3.

Or the military Simonich Mid Tech in S30V(top knife).

In its sheath.

The 3rd knife down in above pic is a Dozier D2 steel neck knife. Goes good on a plate carrier.

Maybe a in Simonich Cuda Talon in Talonite steel.

Fehrman Scout i n CPM3V steel. Great do-all utility knife.

In its sheath on right. 2nd from left is the Talon.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you expand on that claim?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Another vote for Busse Combat knives for a high end fixed blade knife.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#30]
For a concealed defensive fixed blade you want something that's not too long, fairly thin and with a well designed sheath with no snaps.

This is what I've carried most of the time for the past ten years. It's a Bob Terzuola designed Camillua CUDA CQB 2. I carry it horizontal at 10 o'clock with the handle pointed at my belt buckle. It's quickly and easily accessible with either hand.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Medford Knife and Tool is what you seek.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Winkler Knives
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Extrema Ratio.

I think it should suit you just fine.  I owe 3 and love them all dearly!
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Have your dream knife made by fallen oak forge he does awesome work!
I also love my grayman knives!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I like this one.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Winkler Knives
View Quote

Word

Also check out Tom Halloran (Halloran Knives) - a little under your price range

And probably not what you are looking for, but I'll mention him because I just placed an order, is Tactical Combat Tools. It is owned by a retired Army SOF Sergeant Major - well under your price range

Edit: IG clip of the model I have coming https://instagram.com/p/6BRalSIWuC/?taken-by=tct_knives
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#37]

always wanted one.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#38]
A review of the Simonich Mid Tech (military model) Raven I posted a pic of up above.

http://www.tactical-life.com/tactical-knives/bucks-raven-legacy/

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's the point of this knife?

You gonna CCW it?

Something that gonna sit on a SHTF belt/plate carrier for a day that never comes?

Be a badass pig sticker that's gonna be nothing more than a skinning knife?

Plenty of knives around $100 and under that will do the job without pumping the ego.

If it's a CCW type of knife then that's a different story and you need to point that out.
View Quote

I'll agree with all of this.  Frankly, your price point makes me think this knife is destined to be a safe queen, in which case I can't really give any advice.  I say this because there are plenty of knives that will do everything you can expect of a knife at a fraction of the price you mention.  Grab an ESEE 4, 5 or 6 and then get a custom kydex rig and you'll be set with a great knife for around $200ish.

If you have the cash to spare and you want a really nice fixed blade knife that is very functional and has a "cool" factor I'd say go with a Winkler.  Great knvies, great reputation.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I agree with everything you said...  however, in my small collection I have some knives made of very good steel...  I even have a few "high end" japanese kitchen knives - but I've never paid more than $200 for a knife.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with the bolded statement.  Custom knives are often really nice blades.  There are exotic "super steels" that can certainly hold an edge for a long, long time.  However, past a certain price the customer is paying for name brand recognition plus the high level of fit and finish that come from a master bladesmith.  Nothing wrong with wanting the "wow" that comes from a really nice custom, but I don't buy into the statement that somehow these knives are functionally head and shoulders better than a quality, mass produced knife.  

I also don't understand how it became fashionable to really like knives but so strongly dislike sharpening them.  I was watching a guy on YouTube who was going on and on about a hunting knife make from a certain super-steel that he could use to field dress 4 deer before it needed sharpening.  For me, a good 1095 carbon knife will dress out one deer no problem, and after dressing out a deer I take a few minutes to quickly and easily sharpen it back to a razor's edge.  Then it's ready for deer #2.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Another vote for Busse Combat knives for a high end fixed blade knife.

View Quote
This, I love my Team Gemini

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#43]
BUSSE COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!

I was on a Busse kick a few years ago and have these.

Im more recently into RMJ Forge Talon and Shrike from a couple years ago

And lately on a Zombie tools thing.  Have a Deuce II, Traumahawk and just got my new Sharkalope.  NO  pic yet but Zombietools.net will give some good pics.

http://www.zombietools.net/shop/deuce-ii/

http://www.zombietools.net/shop/traumahawk/

http://www.zombietools.net/shop/sharkalope/

OP, go with a Busse Combat of your choice and be done!

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Damn that is a nice looking knife.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd really like the Zombie Tools Kukri but I don't have a need. Always wanted a good Kukri but the Nepalese ones are hit and miss, the US made ones look like they'd break after some chopping.

Back on Topic I have a Reaves and it's a great knife.

Quoted:
BUSSE COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!

I was on a Busse kick a few years ago and have these.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/bullf-16/Busse/IMG_0589.jpg

Im more recently into RMJ Forge Talon and Shrike from a couple years ago

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/bullf-16/IMG_1025.jpg

And lately on a Zombie tools thing.  Have a Deuce II, Traumahawk and just got my new Sharkalope.  NO  pic yet but Zombietools.net will give some good pics.

http://www.zombietools.net/shop/deuce-ii/

http://www.zombietools.net/shop/traumahawk/

http://www.zombietools.net/shop/sharkalope/

OP, go with a Busse Combat of your choice and be done!

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#46]

That's also my choice.  I tuck it behind the chest mounted mags on a mayflower vest with a custom sheath and velcro.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Word...

And probably not what you are looking for, but I'll mention... Tactical Combat Tools.

Edit: IG clip of the model I have coming https://instagram.com/p/6BRalSIWuC/?taken-by=tct_knives
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winkler Knives

Word...

And probably not what you are looking for, but I'll mention... Tactical Combat Tools.

Got the knife, it looks better than I was expecting and I like the sheath. The knife has some heft to it as well.

I have not used it yet, so I can't speak to that at this point.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd really like the Zombie Tools Kukri but I don't have a need. Always wanted a good Kukri but the Nepalese ones are hit and miss, the US made ones look like they'd break after some chopping.

Back on Topic I have a Reaves and it's a great knife.

View Quote

Himalayan Imports is what you seek. I'm not sure if they're still coming in, since their shop and the Kami's homes were destroyed in the earthquake.

I have a C Ang Khola and an ASTK and they're rock solid beasts.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#50]

I have a 7" GB knife...

lots of controversy surrounding his fixed b;ages but Im happy with it...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top