Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/7/2015 5:48:59 PM EDT

Does anyone have a contact for Mad Dog Knives or customer service?  

I have an ATAK2 from 96'-97' that needs refinishing.  I know they used to offer the service.

I lent it to a Marine buddy who used it in Iraq.  Unfortunately, the sand scratched the heck out of the hard chroming.

Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#1]
He has a facebook page. It is temporarily down; it was up the other week.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MAD-DOG-Knives-Edged-Weapons-VIM/226137137541527?sk=photos_stream&ref=page_internal

I don't recall an independent company site existing anymore.

I'd love to see some pictures if you have nothing better to do.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me see if I can dig up his contact info.  My last tour to Afghanistan found my PATAK needing a new sheath and he hooked me up.  He also moderates over on Tactical Forums and that's how I originally contacted him.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He has a facebook page. It is temporarily down; it was up the other week.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MAD-DOG-Knives-Edged-Weapons-VIM/226137137541527?sk=photos_stream&ref=page_internal

I don't recall an independent company site existing anymore.

I'd love to see some pictures if you have nothing better to do.
View Quote

I'll see what I can do.  Horrible posting camera pics.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I tried to register with Tactical Forums.  Said my Email provider was "banned".

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no simple or economical way to refinish just the blade as the handles would have to be ground off so the blade can be properly refinished.

The blade is epoxied into the handle.

The old chrome will have to be removed before being coated.

My recommendation is to use one of the spray on finishes and just reapply as needed.

Is there any rusting through the chrome?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't think you're going to be able to get warranty service on the knife.

From what I understand Kevin and his wife divorced a few years ago and Mad Dog Knives in AZ closed shop. Kevin got picked up by VIM in Utah to make his knives. His ex wife sued VIM and he is not longer making knives. He posted on TF there will be no more knives made.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

From what I understand Kevin and his wife divorced a few years ago and Mad Dog Knives in AZ closed shop. Kevin got picked up by VIM in Utah to make his knives. His ex wife sued VIM and he is not longer making knives. He posted on TF there will be no more knives made.

View Quote

Not expecting a warranty service.  I paid $245 for it in 1996-97.  The damn things are going for $1200-1500 on eBay IF you can find one.  Thought it would be more economical than buying a new one.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There is no simple or economical way to refinish just the blade as the handles would have to be ground off so the blade can be properly refinished.

My recommendation is to use one of the spray on finishes and just reapply as needed.

View Quote

No rusting.  Just lots of scratches from sand in the kydex sheath.  She's banged up but still functional.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No rusting.  Just lots of scratches from sand in the kydex sheath.  She's banged up but still functional.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case, the chrome is fairly thick and durable. You should be good to go until it wears through.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I heard about the divorce but didn't know he stopped making knives.

Who is VIM and how did the wife get so much power to do that?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She probably got 1/2 rights to his product (or something like that).  Kevin is somewhat of a loose cannon from what I've seen.  Probably didn't want to share profits with her afterwards, so he shut down mad dog (which as a side note, ironically, he never got patents on his knife designs, which wasn't very smart) and went to VIM...but she probably sued and got a judgement that said any knife he makes provides her with xx% cut and like I said, he's somewhat of a loose cannon.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top