Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/25/2012 5:44:21 AM EDT
I've just posted an article which I took no pleasure in writing. Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend the knives and other related products made by Hinderer Knives. To find out why, click on the link below:

Why I Sold All My Hinderer Knives on ThruMyLens

-John
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#1]
tl;dr

Instead of adding hits to your blog, just tell us.  Hurt feelings, demo support..what?
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
John posted his comparison review in some Hinderer and Strider owned forums.  His review was met with some criticism from fans of the companies and the threads were locked or moved to different parts of the forums.  The situation was handled poorly on just about every level from everyone but things escalated.  The whole ordeal took place over several months on several different forums and (I assume) in private emails or meets.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, cap.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I saw that train wreck the few times I've popped in at USN. I'm not surprised at all at the responses, from the forum members or the site staff Especially the Mickey Ray followers.  They may make a good knife, but I wouldn't give the sweat off my balls for one and wouldn't piss in his mouth if his throat was on fire.

Hinderer makes some good stuff, but not my taste. I was more bummed when I learned that you pay some pretty epic bucks for a Hinderer and its not actually made by Rick.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I read the link, but still didn't see why you shitcanned the Hinderer knives. Was it just about the USN forums response? I've been there a few times but stopped when it was apparent that it was run by the manufacturers, not real people. I can surely understand not paying a cent for a Strider. The blades may be good, but the man is a prick, felon, a liar, dishonorable discharged USA vet and a stain on the planet. I quit going to the site due to the over the top egos and attitudes of the members. I sure wouldn't mind having either a CRK or Hinderer knife, but I just cannot see what either does better than a good Spyderco or Zero Tolerance or Ridder Benchmade. Guess you do get to say " check out the brand" though. Can you be more specific as to what pissed you off enough to get rid of the knives, or was it just the shit the USN members had to say? I will say, I wish I could afford either of those two knives.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
What was it about the product that you didn't like? Did you have a warranty issue? Failing to see where the actual drama was? It didn't appear to be over a review...
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I love nothing more than to see a valor thief outed, but Hinderer seems like a stand up dude based on what I read.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh the drama...  there's 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back... <yawn>
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read the link, but still didn't see why you shitcanned the Hinderer knives. Was it just about the USN forums response? I've been there a few times but stopped when it was apparent that it was run by the manufacturers, not real people. I can surely understand not paying a cent for a Strider. The blades may be good, but the man is a prick, felon, a liar, dishonorable discharged USA vet and a stain on the planet. I quit going to the site due to the over the top egos and attitudes of the members. I sure wouldn't mind having either a CRK or Hinderer knife, but I just cannot see what either does better than a good Spyderco or Zero Tolerance or Ridder Benchmade. Guess you do get to say " check out the brand" though. Can you be more specific as to what pissed you off enough to get rid of the knives, or was it just the shit the USN members had to say? I will say, I wish I could afford either of those two knives.

As per the article, my primary concern with keeping the knives and continuing to recommend them remains the attitudes and business practices of Hinderer Knives.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What was it about the product that you didn't like? Did you have a warranty issue? Failing to see where the actual drama was? It didn't appear to be over a review...

Actually, if you read the article, it was all about the review.

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
So....you quit them cause they rant and rave about their products and the folks that dropped a grand or more on them brag a bit too much about owning them? Is that about it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reviews can be a double edged sword sometimes, if you dont say the right thing someone gets all butthurt and the hogpile begins

My thoughts reviews are nothing more than opinions, that and a $1.50 will get you a bottle of Coke

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words!  Much appreciated!

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#14]
This is what happens when you buy something on brand personality instead of utility. Sooner or later you are going to find something you do not like that will ruin it for you.

Of course when you buy for collecting purposes the brand personality is important but then utility comparisons become irrelevant so why make them?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure Hinderer and Strider are decent knives of that type, but they're totem objects more than anything else.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Word is, he's gotten big enough that most of his stuff is not made by him, but rather employees.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got one Hinderer XM-18 and am going to purchase a second in a month or two.
I have never had a negative experience with Rob or Rick, but can see where you would be upset with their responses.
Hopefully I will get a chance to meet one or both of them in December at TDI.

As a full time police officer I do occasionally carry the XM-18 but at the cost of replacement it is not an everyday occurrence.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Sadly, your experience with USN and Strider himself is typical.  My experience with USN and Strider were very similar to yours and I was summarily banned ftom USN.   USN is a good example of what happens when you give a forum to a bunch of clowns, people of dubious character and their minions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#20]
So, if I read this all correctly; you complain about their business practices on their forum, and then sell all their products because of how you were treated.

I'm gonna be honest- this seems like Drama Llama behavior.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Drama on USN, color me shocked.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I liked your Review/Comparison of the knives... I couldn't say that I would have sold off the knives because of their poor attitudes in defending their product, but I can see where you're coming from. If the knives suited their intended purposes well, then wouldn't that be enough to justify keeping them? A quality knife made by a jerk and a quality knife made by Mr. Nice Guy will most likely cut the same. Just my $0.02. Of course, like I said I can understand your reasoning, and I appreciated your review. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Getting drunk and robbing and carjacking a used car salesmen so you can steal a car to drive across state lines to go beat up your soon to be ex-wife - Federal prison time.

Feeding $40 worth of material into a waterjet and CNC, only touching the knife by hand to box it up, and then turning around and selling it for $500 to people foolish enough to think your prison time was a black ops mission. - Priceless.

I mean really, what a great business model. If only someone were smart enough to do all of that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So, if I read this all correctly; you complain about their business practices on their forum, and then sell all their products because of how you were treated.

I'm gonna be honest- this seems like Drama Llama behavior.

No, you're not reading this correctly.  I didn't "complain" on their forum.  I gave an honest assessment and made some positive suggestions.  There's a difference.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I liked your Review/Comparison of the knives... I couldn't say that I would have sold off the knives because of their poor attitudes in defending their product, but I can see where you're coming from. If the knives suited their intended purposes well, then wouldn't that be enough to justify keeping them? A quality knife made by a jerk and a quality knife made by Mr. Nice Guy will most likely cut the same. Just my $0.02. Of course, like I said I can understand your reasoning, and I appreciated your review. Keep up the good work.

Your not the first to have difficulty understanding my actions.  But using your analogy, if a quality knife made by a jerk and a quality knife made by a nice guy cut the same, then I choose the one made by the nice guy.  

There's too many quality knives out there made by companies that know how to treat their customers for me to carry a knife that reminds me of how poorly I was treated every time I use it.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's too many quality knives out there made by companies that know how to treat their customers for me to carry a knife that reminds me of how poorly I was treated every time I use it.  

seems reasonable to me
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Your point has merit.  However, some people do not care what caliber individual provides a good or service to them.  To some people, character counts and the integrity of a good or service is only as good as the integrity of the person who makes or provides it.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Your not the first to have difficulty understanding my actions.  But using your analogy, if a quality knife made by a jerk and a quality knife made by a nice guy cut the same, then I choose the one made by the nice guy.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Your point has merit.  However, some people do not care what caliber individual provides a good or service to them.  To some people, character counts and the integrity of a good or service is only as good as the integrity of the person who makes or provides it.  

I fully recognize that.  My article won't mean diddly-squat to some - but to others it will.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Found this interesting to say the least.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top