Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/15/2002 7:22:16 AM EDT
I love the look of Damascus and I'm always amazed at what a good bladesmith can do just by hammering a few different steels together and a little creativity. Over the years I've been lucky enough to find some samples of what these folk can do and I thought some of you might enjoy seing them.

At its most basic level, Damascus steel is really simple. In the most basic style, a metal bar is hammerd out as thin as possible, then folded over, hammered out again and the process repeated. Often the bladesmith will take two or more steels and hammer weld them together. This gives you the effect of light and dark lines running through the blade. They can make other patterns by twisting the bar, slicing pieces off and then hammering them back together, incorporating other materials into the design or combining any or all those techniques. The result is a blade that stays sharper longer and that both looks and feels good.

Here are five Damascus folders I've been luck enough to get over the years. From the top these were made by Joe Pardue, Tom Watson, Don Greenaway, Chuck Gedraitus and another Greenaway.

And here is a closer look at the blades themselves.

In this picture you can see a raindrop pattern above a ladder pattern.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
sig, very nice knives.  I have always avoided Damascus partly because there was very little demand from my customer base due to the increased price of Damascus blades, and in large part because I do not have the space or equipment in my shop.  However, a buddy invited me to his shop this weekend to make some Damascus billets.  I have watched others do it, but never made it myself.  He is going to supervise while I work.  I am looking forward to the experience, and also to making a few blades from my own Damascus.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I love the look of Damascus and I'm always amazed at what a good bladesmith can do just by hammering a few different steels together and a little creativity.

I hate to seem like a dick but for those who aren't really familiar with it (Damascus) There is a whole lot more involved with Damascus than just hammering and creativity. It is probably regarded by most as the final step on the way to being a master bladesmith- Conquering Damascus, being able to repeat the pattern, etching it correctly and having the knife be Functional. Personally I don't know if I would call welding layers of nickel and high carbon steel into billets then shaping them into knives fun, but the outcome is always amazing.

JerrY
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Jim,

Per your request on HS-2000, here I am :)  Actually have been a lurker here for a little while.  I found a better pic than the one I posted on HS-2000 (that one I took, this one is professional).

The story:  Tom shows me this new Damascus he's made, but it wasn't based on any steel.  It was very light.  That was when Timascus was born, a Damascus made with layers of titanium; has the beauty of Damascus with the material properties of titanium.  I had the idea originally for a pair of daggers, one fixed and one folder.  My idea was that it would be a collaboration between Nick Wheeler and Tom Ferry.  In email discussion with them they decided it would be better if they could individually stretch their creative muscles.  Well it worked and it worked AWESOME!  These are my two of my prized possessions.

http://www.students.washington.edu/mitchlum/timascus/alpha_2timascusdaggers.jpg

Enjoy!
Mitch
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top