Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/26/2011 3:44:06 PM EDT
hi im looking to pick up my first esee im looking at the 5 or the 6 I want it for hike camping and hunting. and were can I find the best deal thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both. Prefer the 6.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the -5. I also have the Izula and -3. I really want the -6... And the -4........... And the Izula -2.

Bottom line is, your going to end up with both (or the entire ESEE line). But the -6 might be the way to go. I think it is a more usable knife than the -5. Either way, they are great knives.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The -5 is often referred to a a sharpened prybar.  It's ¼" thick, so it's plenty heavy, but you'll never break it.  

I went with the -6, and later added a -3mil and a -4 for hiking/backpacking.

The best place to buy one is direct from ESEE using their military-police purchase program.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a 5 or 6 but i do have a Izula and a 4. My thought is get the 6 and have a small folder for delicate work. The 5 is a really nice nice but I feel like the .25" thick blade is overkill for a practical use.

If i had to carry one and only one knife  (5 or 6) i would carry the 5 and never worry about breaking it. Perfect survival knife.

The 4 is great for everyday use though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
go with the 6
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the -6 straight from ESEE and have them install the -5 grips. It is already drilled for a bow hole. Not saying you'll need it, but better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I am looking at getting the 4 to go with my Izula. I am also liking the orange handles and green blade.

KnifesShipFree appears to have some decent prices.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a -4  an love it so far, haven't done too much with it yet though. I did cut my finger on the forward finger notch, that wasn't too fun. I would say go with the -5 it's thicker and will be more kind to your index finger because it is lacking that forward notch. Unless you really need that extra .50" cutting edge you get with the -6 then I think the -5 will be a better bet for you. Also I got mine from The knife Connection. they were the best deal I could find at the time, and fast shipping.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#9]
For hiking the 5 or 6 is the best. Here's another good place to get them.
http://www.howesknifeshop.com/index.php?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the 3 and the 5 . 3 for hunting and 5 for camping. the 5 weights a pound by itself. http://www.knifeworks.com/
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top