Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/9/2011 6:01:40 AM EDT
I bought an unused ZT 0350 from a member here (which was a great transaction, BTW), and now that I have it, and have used it for a few days, I can honestly say I'm totally unimpressed.

The liners have horrible chatter marks from the machining on both the spine and belly, and are visible everywhere.
The scales are inconsistently beveled from one side to another.
The screw holding the assembly together along the spine are insistent in height.
The liner lock requires very little force to move.
The scales stand slightly proud of the liners in a few places.
The texture on the liners is very susceptoble to damage.

And, perhaps most damning, the clip is held on to the scales directly with two screws. it is not even inletted, and what I have found is that the texturing eventually compresses, causing a loose clip.

The blade is nicely ground, and the finish is good, and the assist mechanism seems to work - but for the money asked, I'm just not impressed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Benchmade,
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Benchmade,

I've broken three.
And they won't repair my Infidel.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Spyderco

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Spyderco

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Interesting.
Broke the pivot on one.
Hate the blade shape.

I went custom - I've high hopes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
That was my next suggestion. What Spyderco did you break? What are you doing to these knives to break them?
My friend has a 0350 and his is very well done.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That was my next suggestion. What Spyderco did you break? What are you doing to these knives to break them?

Damned if I know.
I have never broken a CRKT, but they won't hold an edge, and the clips loosen every day, no matter how much blue or red threadlocker I use.

I open boxes, letter, cut rubber or fabric reinforced hose, trim some plastic, strip wires, normal stuff. No prying more than plastic screw cap covers.

It was a Police.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Manix2 and a Para Military 2 and both are razors and well built. Not super stout like a Strider or anything but they'll cut like crazy and are very comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Benchmade,

I've broken three.

You Sir are rough on knives!

Which class of Benchmades did you break? considering there are three (or four?) different 'qualities' of Benchmades?

Also how did you break them?

and what did you do to the Infidel that they wont honor their warranty?

now to actually try and help
http://www.emersonknives.com/ekTheKnives_Tact.php

Try these, pretty tough knives by every ones acounts

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#9]
try cold steel
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Benchmade,

I've broken three.

Which class of Benchmades did you break? considering there are three (or four?) different 'qualities' of Benchmades?

Mini-Ruckus - fractured the scales, jamming the AXIS lock.
Ruckus - worst pocket clip design known to man. Absolutely pathetic on that class of knife, replaced four times, and finally fractured the scales.
Also a Nimarus that I broke the sheath on (lock didn't work well).
Infidel, not currently active duty or LEO, tip broke while slicing packing tape (after 4 years of use).
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
try cold steel

I have a Cold Steel sliding knife modified by someone (I don't recall whom) that works great.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
That's some bad luck bro. Geez! Strider? Chris Reeve? Various customs knives? I don't know... all 3 of the knives you broke are usually very sturdy and reliable. I like the Benchmade 710, Spyderco para 2 for production knives but I love my customs too. Go check out Sniper Bladeworks. I've one coming this Spring. Tough like Striders but better attention to detail (true custom). Great guys.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Protech.

I beat the shit outta mine daily with zero proble[list]

Mine is a TR3
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
XM-18 FTW
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Benchmade,

I've broken three.

Mini-Ruckus - fractured the scales, jamming the AXIS lock.
Ruckus - worst pocket clip design known to man. Absolutely pathetic on that class of knife, replaced four times, and finally fractured the scales.
Also a Nimarus that I broke the sheath on (lock didn't work well).
Infidel, not currently active duty or LEO, tip broke while slicing packing tape (after 4 years of use).

Holy crap what are you doing to break so many knives.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#16]
This Thread Is UseLess WithOut Pics !
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had great luck with Zero Tolerance knifes.  All of mine are flawless and very durable.   I also have a Gerber DMF with the tanto point (automatic), and there is no way you can break it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pics of what? His broken knives or the suggestions people are giving?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe pics of my complaints of the (soon to be for sale) ZT?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe pics of my complaints of the (soon to be for sale) ZT?

Gotcha
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Having gone through a number of knives, some broken, some given away, I finally settled on CRK and a few customs. The initial cost was higher but money was saved in the long run.

BTW I handled a ZT frame lock and was unimpressed for the money. I think they were charging by the pound.

Also I have decided to forgo any more liner locks. They don't last.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Toiyabe, sent you a PM.

Send it back, ZT will fix you up.  As for the G-10 material compressing, causing a loose clip; I've never had that issue with my 0350.  Used it hard for 2 weeks in honduras.  ZT typically loctites their pocket clips as well.

You could always sand the area underneath the clip and then reattach it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Why are you freakin wrench monkeys so tough on knives.

My roommate destroyed several high end knives including at least one benchmade auto

When I took autoshop in high school my instructor always said to use the proper tool for the job, maybe he was on to something

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#24]
seriously, OP, run CS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:28:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
seriously, OP, run CS.

+1

I have one of the older Cold Steel Recon 1 27LSH and that thing is built like a tank and was the sharpest knife out of the box I've ever had.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, here's a pic of the 0350 I sold him. For me, I honestly really liked the knife. I'm picky normally, but I never noticed anything wrong with the 0350. I honestly recommend the cold steel lawman and recon 1. As well. You just have to sand under the clips.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, here's a pic of the 0350 I sold him. For me, I honestly really liked the knife. I'm so picky I typing my leupold mark 4 was a piece of junk, but I never noticed anything wrong with the 0350. I honestly recommend the cold steel lawman and recon 1. As well. You just have to sand under the clips.

http://gallery.me.com/mhalata/100003/IMG_0097/web.jpg?ver=12989457320005
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/IMG_8188.jpg

You were easily one of the best transactions I've had here - don't think I am in anyway impugning your honor.

I'm picky, and I honestly believe that my criticisms are normal for this knife, and as such were unremarkable.
My comments had more to do with fit-and-finish for the MSRP (which is definitely pricey - as opposed to the good deal I got from you).

I have no doubt the knife will work fine, and last a good while, but it sure wasn't the be-all-end-all I was expecting.

Edit:
Look at the back of the knife, where the liner is on the right hand side, and you can get a hint of the machining chatter.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Just get an ESEE and be done with it.

No questions asked lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Got 2 recon 1's for 60 at the 4th July sale they had, sold one on craigslist for 50.

So smooth, I flick my wrist and it's open and locked and ready to rock.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#31]
That's the first model of the Recon 1; I had that knife and loved it.  Lost it though in a Bass Pro Shops parking lot.  I hear the 2010 model Recon 1 is good too, like the one posted before yours.

I have lots of high end knives, and they're nice and all, but companies like Cold Steel, SOG and CRKT offer 75% of the quality at 1/5th the price.  I use them for EDC beaters, and keep the nice knives for once a month carry.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top