Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2010 12:21:30 PM EDT
Had an "Ozark Trail Camp Knife" utility that I got off ebay that's come up missing. It was red with Imperial of Ireland blade steel.

I like smkw.com deal of the day prices, but I get the impression some of those knives aren't the best quality.

I want something that is actually useful and can take a bit of abuse with a decent blade, but I won't have a conniption when it gets lost forever in the river.

His last knife was engraved with his name and all that sentimental stuff.

Anyway, your cheap but quality suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ebay knife.

This is what he had. I just ordered 5 of them to keep on the shelf.  I was impressed with the quality of such a cheap knife. It's nothing special but the blades were decent, would take enough edge for a Tenderfoot Scout, and the knife was unique enough to be personal.

Sorry for the trouble, but I do have 2 other sons. I'd still like suggestions of a good boy's knife.

TIA

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In the sporting goods section of my local Walmart I often find knockoff Swiss Army knives for $1.50-2.00. Can't say that I'd hack down a tree with them, but they don't seem to break when I put a good amount of stress on the blades.

I bought several $7 Gerbers from Walmart for my dad, he keeps losing his knives and flashlights - got tiring when I was buying him $60 knives and $100 flashlights...

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Good, solid, knife that is under $20, yet can provide years of service.

Columbia River Knife & Tool
Drifter - Stainless Handle - Plain Edge
Specifications:
   * Weight: 3.2 oz. (91 g)
   * Blade: Length: 2.875” (7.3 cm)
   * Thickness: 0.10” (0.25 cm)
   * Steel: 8Cr14MoV, 58-59 HRC
   * Closed: Handle length: 3.625” (9.2 cm)
   * Open: Overall length: 6.50” (16.5 cm)

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
When my boys "Graduated" from Cub to Boy Scouts, I got their knives at WalMart.  CRKT, S&W, and Swiss Army for around $20 each.  No way am I going to buy them an expensive "Mini Emerson" only to discover they lost it.  They lose items in our own house and still can't find them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.worldknives.com/products/mercator-german-k55k-cat-folding-pocket-knife-k55k-1120.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I make my son tie his off to a belt loop from the bail of the knife with a piece of 550 cord so he won't loose it. Works like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I make my son tie his off to a belt loop from the bail of the knife with a piece of 550 cord so he won't loose it. Works like a champ.

Get him a swiss army knife with a shackle and also get him a belt mounted snap clip.
Make him carry the knife on the snap clip.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Kershaw and Spyderco Byrd knives offer inexpensive knives w/o sacrificing quality.  Byrds start around $20 and Kershaw starts around $30.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy him an good quality, inexpensive knife.  Tell him it was uber-expensive and to care for it so as not to lose it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have always called that dummy cording did that with all my ta-50
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get him a swiss army knife with a shackle and also get him a belt mounted snap clip.
Make him carry the knife on the snap clip.

This...
Try a swiss army  "Farmer"
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The only reason I got him a different knife (not swiss army) was because I insisted on something that locked, and something without a super sharp point for his first one. I looked high and low for one that fit my criteria, and I finally found it in a small FL gunshop on a foraging trip on my way to the SHOT show. It's a small single blade liner lock with a sheep foot blade with a bale on the back. It cost 20 bucks, looks old as hell and says "Chicago" on the blade. It's perfect for now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Use Red Para cord so he can find it when he drops it
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Does it absolutely have to be a folder?  If not take a look at the Mora 860F.  Blade is under 4", sheath and handle is blaze orange, and you can find then for under $15.  I have one in OD that I love and use all the time.  Got one for each of my daughters.  Knife is cheap enough to be lost or modified (ie filing the point if that's a concern) without worry.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top