Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2010 4:26:47 PM EDT
I would like to give a knife to my cousin who is going to afghanistan, not sure what he is allowed to have as far as fixed blade, or folder , want to spend under 100.00, but don't want to give him something that is going to be confiscated. but want him to have a good blade with him, not sure what he will be issued . want to suprise him so i can't ask him . he is in the army and i think he said something about being Scout recon not sure. any help with choices would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats his MOS?  What will he be doing in Iraq?

I'd say get him a nice folder, maybe a Spyderco Military.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I recommend a folder. go with benchmade of spyderco. If you have to get him a fixed blade get him an ESEE 3.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Gerber Military Tactical LMF II - A.S.E.K. Knife $62.99 (shipped) if you use the Coupon Code / Promotional Code TWEET.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lmfiiasek.html
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Find out what unit he is in and make some phone calls.
Ask what is and isn't allowed, and let them know what you want to do.
One thing to keep in mind:
Markings on the blade. I have heard it discussed elsewhere that
many want no markings on the blade that might identify exactly
where the soldier is from. It makes sense to me, but only if that person is
"undercover" or whatever the correct terminology is. I can't verify
anything other than I have heard it elsewhere, so take it with a grain of salt.

Whatever you do, buy quality. You can't go wrong if you do.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
most normal groundpounders are not allowed use of automatic folders but it does vary with unit. They have gotten multi tools issued to them at times - juswt find out what he can and cannot have and get something in that range. There are hoards of good folders out there and many good sheath knives small and large. Keep the folder under 100 even 75 if you can and the same with a small sheath knife. For a larger knive go no more than 200. I am not saying to not purchase anything over that but keep the cost manageable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
in that price range, i'd take a hard look at these
Ranger Knives
i don't know how uniform the rules are, from unit to unit, but one of my best friends was in Iraq and he was allowed to carry fixed blades.  in fact, they gave him one.  i showed him my fixed blade Presidio and asked if it was something he would've liked to have had over there.  he said "definately", but it's not under 100bux

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
If I was going back to Iraq or Afganistan I would definitly get a SOG multi tool.The issued Gerbers are ok but don't last as long as the SOG's. I went through 3-5 Gerbers or Leathermans in Iraq between braking them (Gerbers) or people stealing them (Leatherman's).  For 50 to 75 bucks you could get him a SOG multi tool and get a good folder from Benchmade, Spyderco, or CRKT.

I wouldn't get him any type of auto as some commands are funny about soldiers carrying them (even though everyone already carries a firearm with ammo on them  Customs also confiscates them when the units come back ( if he doesn't take care to keep it out of there sight, personal experience).  For what you spend on an auto you could buy 2 or 3 good regular folders. I still have both of the folders I used over there and they still work great

If you decide on a fixed blade I would keep it down to around 3 inch blade, you would probably want something that is short, light and very sturdy,  no huge Rambo knives that are going to get in the way more than help do the intended job.

Just my .02 cents of experience. Hope this helps and good luck to your cousin.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Multi Tool, Swiss Army knife and a Spyderco or Byrd Folder.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#9]
SOG Power Pliers multi tool, RAT Cutlery RAT-5, Or a Grayman Knives just about any model.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top