Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/14/2009 11:59:07 AM EDT
I've decided to buy either the Gerber LMF II or the ASEK version, and LAPG seems to have a great price. However, LAPG's site lists the blade steel on the ASEK as "420HC stainless steel", and the LMF II as "12C27."

BUT, on uscav.com, they claim the ASEK has 12C27. Who is correct, or are both knives the same? If there is a difference, which steel is better?

TIA.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
See this...

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/63

The ASEK is not a Gerber knife.  ASEK is a knife specification/system spec'ed by the military as a "Survival Knife System" that was put for bids for the military.  More than one maker may produce and provide ASEK knives to the military contract spec's.

So... Gerber meets that spec with the Gerber Military Tactical LMF II - A.S.E.K. Knife... and the spec's for that knife were on the link above and Gerber indicates the knife is 420HC Stainless.

ASEK = Aircrew Survival Egress Knife
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok thanks. I went ahead and ordered the ASEK from LAPG.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The ASEK Knife they sell at LAPG has the Knife and the Seatbelt Cutting Tool. They also sell it as the knife only. I believe the color of the knife has to do with the type it is. Do a google search and their are some articles that explain the differences in the types they sell. I bought the Tan LMF-II which has the cutting tool. Either way it's a great knife for the price they sell it at.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Gerber also moved away from the Sandvik steel and used the 420HC in the interim.  I can't remember the exact dates (I've posted them somewhere else in this forum), but Gerber was having trouble getting the amount of 12C27 steel it needed for production...so they went to a 420HC temporarily.  I also can't remember what blade steel they settled on.

bladeforums has the exact information you're looking for. ETA: found it, and listed below.

IMO, the LMFII is still one of the best values out there.  Solid construction, good sheath, and paracord/belt cutter all for around $60-70.  Tough to beat.

ETA: 12C27 and 420HC are fairly close in cutting/edge holding and you'd be hard=pressed to tell the difference.  I might be upset if I ended up with a 440A example, but it seems that was only produced for a short while.

Now

Here's the info:

***NOTE*** January 2006 – December 2007 this steel type was comprised of Sandvik 12C27 SS.

***NOTE*** January 2008 – April 2008 the steel type was temporarily changed from the Sandvik 12C27 SS to 440A U.S. SS.

***NOTE*** May 2008 – current: Production had not resumed with the Sandvik 12C27 SS due to complications with material availability, but switched to a more closely matching steel, the US 420HC. Below is a chart comparison between the Sandvik 12C27 and the U.S. 420HC products:
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top