Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 6/13/2009 5:04:11 AM EDT
ETA; BOKER A-F 5.5 looks real nice. Real hefty price too. It is exactly what I was looking for however.

My favorite knife is my Chris Reeves Yarborough so that's what I'm looking for, something similar, but a dagger.

Basically a full tang, micarta handle, modernized V42.

I have been searching and searching and can't find anything. At the last gun show there was a real V42 and a knock off V42

Are daggers not that popular?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Had WWII gone on into 1946, the Allied Commando knife was to have been the Applegate-Fairbairn knife.

Still made by Boker, this is actually the best design of the V-42 and British F-S Commando knifes.
The Applegate has a wider blade that's slightly hollow ground.  It takes and holds a much sharper edge then the others.  The point cuts in instead of being an "ice pick" tip.  This makes the Applegate a much stronger knife from which the point won't break off, and due to the strength, the blade won't break off at the handle.

The handles are a classic "coke bottle" shape that gives a tactile index (feel) of where the edge is, unlike the round handle of the F-S.
The handle gives a far better grip and the cross guard is actually usable to rest your thumb on for vertical edge hold, or on the blade for edge-to-the side hold.

The handles can be easily removed for cleaning, and there are spaces for lead or steel weights inside to allow balancing the knife for the individual.

The V-42 and F-S are essentially "assassination implements" designed specifically for the single purpose of stabbing sentries.  
The Applegate is more of a fighting knife designed after experiences in commando raids in France.
Its a more practical knife that can be used to stab AND slash and cut.

You can buy them online for prices under $100, and they're a very good knife vs price.
There are options on color, smooth or serrated edge, and various scabbards.

http://www.knivesplus.com/BOKER-KNIVES-FIXED-BLADE-APPLEGATE-FAIRBAIRN.HTML

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Had WWII gone on into 1946, the Allied Commando knife was to have been the Applegate-Fairbairn knife.

Still made by Boker, this is actually the best design of the V-42 and British F-S Commando knifes.
The Applegate has a wider blade that's slightly hollow ground.  It takes and holds a much sharper edge then the others.  The point cuts in instead of being an "ice pick" tip.  This makes the Applegate a much stronger knife from which the point won't break off, and due to the strength, the blade won't break off at the handle.

The handles are a classic "coke bottle" shape that gives a tactile index (feel) of where the edge is, unlike the round handle of the F-S.
The handle gives a far better grip and the cross guard is actually usable to rest your thumb on for vertical edge hold, or on the blade for edge-to-the side hold.

The handles can be easily removed for cleaning, and there are spaces for lead or steel weights inside to allow balancing the knife for the individual.

The V-42 and F-S are essentially "assassination implements" designed specifically for the single purpose of stabbing sentries.  
The Applegate is more of a fighting knife designed after experiences in commando raids in France.
Its a more practical knife that can be used to stab AND slash and cut.

You can buy them online for prices under $100, and they're a very good knife vs price.
There are options on color, smooth or serrated edge, and various scabbards.

http://www.knivesplus.com/BOKER-KNIVES-FIXED-BLADE-APPLEGATE-FAIRBAIRN.HTML

I like that!

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
+1
Quoted:
Ek knives.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had my gerber mark II for so long I can't see a reason to change horses midstream, but there are some beautiful daggers being made by bladesmiths. Then again, there are some nice ones coming out of production lines too. Protech makes an sexy one for example
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top