Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 6/10/2009 10:38:41 PM EDT
Does anyone use a balisong for EDC? At first, it seems like an absurd notion, with the fine motor control during a stressful situation and all, but I am liking the length of the blade and the slender handle.
I have a Benchmade Ti with the Weehawk blade that I really like. I have had knives like these for years and could easily pass for a bad guy in a Jackie Chan movie with my opening skills. Still, I have my doubts about the sanity of carrying this knife for serious social use. As much as I like them, they are more "punk-ass" than SOCOM....

Anyhow, anyone carry one? What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried it, I have a nice BM weehawk too, but I am faster with a regular folder and can get it opened in more confined spaces.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to EDC a Benchmade 42 until I lost it

That sucker was useful.  I used to clip wire and rope by sandwiching them between the handle and blade and squeezing.

That was back when the BM42's didn't have those ghey spring-loaded latches.

Nowadays I carry a Spyderco Native or a Kershaw Leek.  Less heartache if I lose them
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:41:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I tried it, I have a nice BM weehawk too, but I am faster with a regular folder and can get it opened in more confined spaces.

Balisong latch-drops FTW
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balisong latch-drops FTW

I can have a 710 out and open in one move basically, much faster than a Bali.  I am no gansta Filipina or nothing but I was pretty quick with a butterfly, but for edc, I can't make it work as fast as a regular folder.

The damnable Spyderfly is calling my name though....dang that looks fun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balisong latch-drops FTW

I can have a 710 out and open in one move basically, much faster than a Bali.  I am no gansta Filipina or nothing but I was pretty quick with a butterfly, but for edc, I can't make it work as fast as a regular folder.

damn i had no idea spyderco came out w/ a balisong!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
EDC???
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#7]
every day carry
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balisong latch-drops FTW

its junk dont waste your time or money.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balisong latch-drops FTW

Dammit. How junky?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balisong latch-drops FTW

Dammit. How junky?

Indeed, do tell.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:32:48 AM EDT
[#11]
In Texas, ballisongs, like switchblades, cannot be legally carried. Laws don't have to make any sense.

While I don't think they make good EDC's, my wife is from Batangas province in the Philippines, where the ballisong orginated, so I could earn some points with the in-laws if I carried one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The Balisong makes for a great EDC, if it is legal to carry where you live.  Here in Oregon, bali's, like auto knives are legal to carry as long as they are not concealed.  Pocket clip or sheath must be visible.  

That said, there are many very simple, very quick moves to open a bali.  Once open and it the grip of your hand, the lock up is as close as you will get to a fixed blade.  

I look at the Balisong like I do at auto knives.  They are fun, lots of fun.  We collect balisongs and my son flips in demonstrations at some of the knife shows.  Yeah, he can do all that fancy stuff that would cause me to lose a finger if I tried it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balisong latch-drops FTW

Dammit. How junky?

Indeed, do tell.

Dangit, make with the dope.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balisong latch-drops FTW

Dammit. How junky?

Indeed, do tell.

OK, here is the dope.  IMHO, the Spyderco balisong, Spyderfly, Szabofly, Smallfly, are not junk.  The original ones were well made.  After Spyderco got busted for importing the parts, the current runs are made at Spyderco in Golden CO.  This is why there is a price increase.  I have all of the Spyderco bali's and the quality is good for the price.  Yes, it is a production knife, just like the Benchmade bali's, and I would rate the quality a little less, but so is the price.  The handle was designed to be very different from any other balisong.  It looks cool, but is not as conductive to flipping or using as a tool as the standard straight handled, or more recent curved handled balisongs.  If you are looking for a production bali to flip, I would recommend on of the BM 4x series.  If you want one to EDC, it is hard to beat Bradley Cutlery, or the BM31 or Morpho.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balisong latch-drops FTW

Dammit. How junky?

Indeed, do tell.

They dont flip worth a shit, the latch sucks ass, and the handle is all wrong, but that seems to be common with spydercos.

Benchmade has been making balisongs for 30+ years, they must be doing something right since the 42 is the benchmark by which all other balisongs are judged.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top