Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 6/3/2009 8:49:22 PM EDT
My brother has a friend that is about to finish up his residency as a MD.  My brother said he was talking about a doctors knife that had a blade and another speciality blade for opening up the trach (sp) and described it as a small pointed blade.  The only doctors knives I have seen are the ones with a pill crusher, blade, and flat mixing blade.

Does anyone have an idea what or where the knife in question can be found?
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be looking at EMT specialty knives for that. A trachea blade for a doctor would be found in a surgical tray; an EMT may have a pocket knife or multitool for that job.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard about this knife but I think Victorinox is leery of saying a particular blade is for "tracheotomies".

Look at the "mini-champ" and the "emergency blade".

Just a guess and a bump. I've always wanted to see this trach blade.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 1:12:10 AM EDT
[#3]
We always just carried a scalpel for surgical airways on the ambulance I have never seen a custom made knife for it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The knife you are looking for was an old time docs knife.  Like in the 1800s

I think you can find them at smoky mountain knifeworks

Kid
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]

The special operations medical community recently approached Strider Knives to produce an edged tool to perform cricothyrotomies. Apparently, the current issue item just doesn’t stand up to the rigors of field use. In true Strider fashion they came up with something that doesn’t just accomplish the mission, it does it with style. To give you an idea of scale, the scalpel is just over three inches long.

http://soldiersystems.net/tag/strider/

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, if someone intentionally carries a knife in their pocket with the intention of using it for any type surgical procedure, their first patient will most likely own it, and everything else the person has after the date in court.

I might carry something that is reminiscent of an 1800's style doctors tool,  but never would use it.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have met the guy before and I know that he would not be using this as a EDC or  for procedures.  I figure that he is wanting it for a collection of medical items as I remember him having some Civil War bone saws, etc.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The knife you are looking for was an old time docs knife.  Like in the 1800s

I think you can find them at smoky mountain knifeworks

Kid

+1
The definition of a doctor's knife is one founded in tradition.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top