Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2009 7:31:10 PM EDT
I've been wanting something like a kukri for general use and found the Cold Steel ones for a fairly low price.  I'm thinking about getting a small kukri machete(13" blade length, 18" overall lenght) and large kukri machete (17" blade and 22" overall length).  I figure for about $32 + shipping for both of htem, if they're not great, it's not a huge loss, and if they work, awesome

What do you guys think?  Anyone use these before?
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the short ones. It is a good bush knife, not so good for chopping firewood. The steel is harder than a moneylender's heart; to get a good edge I had to use a bench grinder*. The sheath is adequate.

My first use was to cut out a small thicket of some kind of thorny plant. The blade made short work of that plant! I've used it for other such work.

*Go VERY slow, and before each pass, thoroughly wet the blade.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advise!  So what would you say the maximum size of wood it would be hand to chop?  Couple inches in diameter?  I'm thinking stuff about 3-4" in diameter would be the max I'd try.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the cold steel LTC Kurki. I have hade it for 15+ years. Great blade. It chopped everything I could find. I carried it on my ruck in the Army.
RLTW
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The knife test/destruction guy thought it was pretty good.

linky
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  Can't watch the review vids right now - I'm at work  But I'll watch them tonight.  I think I'm going to go ahead and get them  I'll follow up when I get them.

BTW, does anyone know of any dealers that might have them for less?  From a quick Google search last night, they seemed like good prices, but the shipping seemed a bit steep at a bit over $11...
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
this one is mine...together we have killed 10's of banana trees.  

comfy, well balanced, great edge, tough...

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Ordered both of htem this afternoon.  I just got done watching the destruction vids - holy crap that thing was tough  I don't think I'll ever have to worry about breaking them...  I'll give more info after I get them and can use them a little.  Thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Rajah II...does that count?

Holy cow, that thing is beasty!  Is that your daily carry knife?  How do you like it?

According to FedEx tracking, I should be getting them today, so I can give at least a preliminary report (can't actually use them yet, just look at and handle them.)
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Got the kukris in the mail today.  Just based on the looks and feel of them (no use yet), I like everything about them except one small thing - the pommel.  It helps keep hold of the kukri while swinging, but it has a bit of an edge that's uncomfortable to the bottom of my hand at the end of the swing.  This might not be a problem when actually chopping something; I'll have to see if it does or not, then possibly grind it down a bit so it's not as annoying.

They came with stickers on the blades (like in the destuction vids), and hopefully they'll be easy to get off.  The blades seemed fairly sharp, so I don't think they'll need sharpening before I use them.

Overall, without actually using them yet (other than to chop the heads of a couple imaginary zombies to feel their heft), I really like them.  I think they'll end up being well worth the money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#12]
The end of all sticker problems.  It didn't affect the finish of mine.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used my Cold Steel Kukri Machete  as my primary light chopping tool for years, quite a few field trips gathering fire wood and lots of stuff around the house.  I really like it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/goldeyeslayer/fluid002.jpg

That's a good idea.  I was thinking rubbing alcohol, but that'll work way better - I have some in the basement, so I'll have to take care of the stickers tomorrow.  Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/goldeyeslayer/fluid002.jpg

That's a good idea.  I was thinking rubbing alcohol, but that'll work way better - I have some in the basement, so I'll have to take care of the stickers tomorrow.  Thanks for the advice!

Where did you order  yours from?? I would like to get the two also... WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one of the longer ones, with similar experience.  It was tough to sharpen but worked well to level some brush and bamboo on one end of my property
Quoted:
I have one of the short ones. It is a good bush knife, not so good for chopping firewood. The steel is harder than a moneylender's heart; to get a good edge I had to use a bench grinder*. The sheath is adequate.

My first use was to cut out a small thicket of some kind of thorny plant. The blade made short work of that plant! I've used it for other such work.

*Go VERY slow, and before each pass, thoroughly wet the blade.

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Where did you order  yours from?? I would like to get the two also... WarDawg

The links are in the original post.  For both of them, I paid less than $45 including shipping, and they were here in about 3 or 4 days.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been wanting something like a kukri for general use and found the Cold Steel ones for a fairly low price.  I'm thinking about getting a small kukri machete(13" blade length, 18" overall lenght) and large kukri machete (17" blade and 22" overall length).  I figure for about $32 + shipping for both of htem, if they're not great, it's not a huge loss, and if they work, awesome

What do you guys think?  Anyone use these before?

Thanks for the info ... I just order both the large and small one myself. I also got the Gerber LMF ( desert Tan ) knife..... I have several of the Himilayian Imports  kukri's. They are evry nice and alittle $$$. It will be nice to have a cheaper $$ one to whack with...  WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have one of these models as well. Great knifes. Took the cheaper out camping, chopped up a good deal of wood with it, really like it. Thought about getting a San Mai, but with the issues I had trying to get this knife from coldsteel I will never order from them again, and no one stocks a San Mai. My package came up missing in the mail, it took 4 weeks of fighting cold steel and the post office always getting the same response, "cold steel: We shipped it" "post office: we cant find it what more do you want us to do" Finally had to dispute charges with the CC. Took another 3 weeks, but ended up getting the money back. Ended up finding another on a blade site and had it 2 days later. Hope I never need to send it or any of my other CS knives back after having to deal with their customer service on this last issue.

But the knife so far has been great.... but this is not the cheaper machete version.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/fastmover_01/CSMachete.jpg

I have one of these models as well. Great knifes. Took the cheaper out camping, chopped up a good deal of wood with it, really like it. Thought about getting a San Mai, but with the issues I had trying to get this knife from coldsteel I will never order from them again, and no one stocks a San Mai. My package came up missing in the mail, it took 4 weeks of fighting cold steel and the post office always getting the same response, "cold steel: We shipped it" "post office: we cant find it what more do you want us to do" Finally had to dispute charges with the CC. Took another 3 weeks, but ended up getting the money back. Ended up finding another on a blade site and had it 2 days later. Hope I never need to send it or any of my other CS knives back after having to deal with their customer service on this last issue.

But the knife so far has been great.... but this is not the cheaper machete version.

i notice my Kurki was not the one we were talking about in this thread mine cost $99 at the knife store, but well worth it, great knife, i think i could cut a 2X4 in half.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top