Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 11/9/2008 9:11:44 PM EDT
Gents,

Thinking about purchasing this folder...pro's, con's, etc? Also, I noticed the blade is marked "Seki-Japan" - I was under the impression that SOG knives were made here in the US? I really like the feel the balance of the knife, however, before dropping a hundred bucks, I wanted to check in w/you guys first. BTW, this will be my 1st knife - yes, 1st one believe it or not...I've always have been a rifle, gun fanatic but now I'm wanting to get into knives.

Thanks in advance!

Sakic #19

Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe some are assembled in the US, but dunno about actually being made.  That one sounds all Japan to me.

The VG-10 steel is O.K. for a $100 knife, but with my experience with Sog (I've had their trident) and their less than satisfactory customer service, I'd recommend you look at what Kershaw and Benchmade have to offer.

In that price range, you could get a knife with better build quality, better steel, and much better customer service for less than that price.  For Kershaw, take a look at their Blur, Leek, Groove, Speed/Spec Bump, Shallot, Ener-g, R.A.M., and supposedly, the Sandvik steel that they use actually holds an edge longer than VG-10, and touches up much quicker on a sharpener.

For Benchmade, the 710, 520, 615, 940, are all good choices.

Try holding a Kershaw or Benchmade––they fit like a glove

Let us know what you pick!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a SOG Pentagon Elite 1.  I like the smooth action and lockup.  It's great quality knive, and it holds an edge fine.

However, the "stainless steel" blade really wants to rust.  Nothing big just alot of little brown spots that I have to steel wool off now and then.  I normally just keep a coating of car wax on it.  Seems to do the trick  

It's nice, and I carry it everywhere.  The corrosion issue is the only problem I have with it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the sog spec elite 1 and I also have problems with the blade rusting.  It is not a big deal it is only slight surface rust but it is rather annoying.  My benchmade knives do not rust  nearly as easy however, overall I must say that I like the sog better than any of my benchmades.  The sog opens and closes a lot nicer/faster/easier.  I can open this knife just as fast as a bench made auto.  However, the pocket clip on the sog is definately inferior to the benchmade.  It is not tight enough and it tends to get snug on seatbelts and what have you.  I have almost lost it numerous times.  One time I found it hanging on the waist band of my northface backpack after scavenging through my truck and driveway.  Overall I like the sog better due to its locking mechanism, opening,  and blade design. But I like the finish the benchmade has and its pocket clip much better.  They both hold and edge equally in my opinion.  Just buy both.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top