Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2008 3:29:50 PM EDT
Nice to finally have a new (to me) knife to review here on the boards...bought a $59.00 special deal on the Gerber LMF II ASEK from LAPOLICEGEAR.COM and got good service. The knife itself is really well made and I have no complaints about it whatsoever, came razor sharp and ready to go...but the sheath, is a dissapointment. The built in sharpener is nice, and the numerous molle attachments are nice, almost too nice, robust& heavy beyond belief. However when you try to snap the strap around the handle of the knife in the sheath, it has TWO of these little snap straps, and neither one is long enough to adequately reach around the handle. The top one just barely makes it with mucho force, and the bottom one (why they have two in the first place escapes me) doesn't work at all! Furthermore the blade tends to catch on the lower strap, and when this happens the operator tends to exert more force to sheath the blade which could cause a slip with that razor sharp steel and maybe cause a bad accident. This is too slow and too clumbsy of an arrangement, and if you ask me otherwise ruins nearly a perfect production survivial knife setup. What were they thinking? Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't sheath snap strap design almost a no brainer?!? I have much cheaper knives with far better sheath designs...velcro would do, instead of snaps, or how about making them just a tad longer? Any sugeestions for modifications out there?
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You might have received a bum sheath, while reading i pulled out mine to check and i have no problems with the snaps reaching or closing. I can see the blade catching on the strap but just take a quick look to make sure the tip is in and then it cant possibly go anywhere but into the sheath.
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Well now that I've been "working on" them for awhile, I got them snapped. Maybe they will stretch in time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well now that I've been "working on" them for awhile, I got them snapped. Maybe they will stretch in time.

Mine was tight as well. I just left them snapped for a while and it did stretch out. No worries now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried contacting Gerber and explaining the issue.  I'm sure they would send you another sheath.  I just ordered one today, so I am hoping it will be here early next week.

I also don't understand the need for two straps.  I will probably remove the lower strap because I don't see the purpose for it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is the same
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#6]
got one for my son and it seemed a little tight.  But with use it should loosen up a little, I've yet to find web gear that didn't relax some with use.  And then I figured, what the heck, got one for me too.   Upgrading gear for EQ stuff in truck.  

You can always use the included belt slasher to take one of the straps off.  C'mon you know you want to try it on something.

Ordered mine on Friday morning, shipped Friday afternoon and arrived here today.

I guess the coyote tan color was the close out feature the green and black versions are the same price but not on closeout.

Just a guess they used snaps because they are quieter than velcro?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I ordered one last night and I think it will be a pretty good knife.  I have yet to hear from someone that wasnt happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The LMF II is among the best infantry/survival fixed blades availible. The price/performance is amazing. I don't know if a 400.00+ blade would be any better...

The sheath thats included is more than enough for the average user*military or otherwise* and its entirely servicable. However, I did notice some of the things you mentioned. The blade had knicked the snap on mine plenty of times. I have other OEM sheaths that are the same way.

Its very rare that I am pleased with an OEM sheath. For this reason, I use pretty much only Blackhawk or SpecOps knife sheaths. I have some molded sheaths too... I would reccomend you get an appropriate Blackhawk/SpecOps sheath and a good stone.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got mine in today.  The bottom strap was snug on mine but i finally got it snapped and let it sit for a few hours and it seemed to improve.  The sheath is the best i have ever seen and the knife is of excelent quality.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top