Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2007 2:05:09 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a replacement sheath for the above knife; the original just doesn't have enough retention for my liking.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Wish I had an answer.......I agree 100%. I wonder if there's a way to utilize a snap strap on the current model.....like what Knifekits sells  
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I was told by a holster rep. that kydex is not that hard to heat and mold.  Could you heat it and mold a couple channels either side of the tang?  Something like the width of a pencil on either side just to snug it up?

eta: there are a couple custom kydex holster/sheath makers that will make anything you want, but it would cost more than the knife.   Hell, call CS and bitch, maybe they would send a new sheath.  Or, make one.....linky
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I may try and put some heat on the factory sheath to see if I can modify the retention tabs to be more positive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Its a safekeeper II.  You might get better search results with that.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It has Safe Maker II etched on the front of the blade, and Cold Steel Japan on the back.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has Safe Maker II etched on the front of the blade, and Cold Steel Japan on the back.

My bad.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I may try and put some heat on the factory sheath to see if I can modify the retention tabs to be more positive.

Shouldn't take much work, but you'll need a fair amount of heat. A heat gun would be just about perfect to soften and form the kydex. Something like a blow dryer won't work at all.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was told by a holster rep. that kydex is not that hard to heat and mold.  Could you heat it and mold a couple channels either side of the tang?  Something like the width of a pencil on either side just to snug it up?

eta: there are a couple custom kydex holster/sheath makers that will make anything you want, but it would cost more than the knife.   Hell, call CS and bitch, maybe they would send a new sheath.  Or, make one.....linky

I have been experimenting with Kydex. It DOES soften in boiling water, but its better to use an oven, at over 250-300 degrees. And it is pretty easy to work with!
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll give it a try with the heat shrink gun, aka blowdryer on serious steroids!  The worst that can happen is that I'll trash a sheath that is pretty much useless anyway.

There are a couple of protrusions on the inside of the tab that I presume are expected to provide sufficient retention, which they do not.  As they will get in the way of "folding over" the corners on the tab, I'll probably shave those down before trying to re-shape it.  And yes, like any good web kinda guy, I'll take pics before and after.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Well the sheath modification has been successfully completed; but unfortunately, my photographic skills aren't at all up to par.  

Y'all are going to have to be a little bit creative to try and see what transpired:

This first pic attempts to show the litlle "ridges, bumps, or whatever they are called" inside of the retention tab.  If you look really hard towards the upper left and right on the inside of the sheath, you can almost see them.

Using a razor blade, they were removed.  Since they were barely visible in the first pic, it may not look a whole lot different.

Next some heat was applied via the heat shrink gun on low setting to try and re-form the retention tab to the desired shape.  It took some experimentation to see how much heat was required to get the material soft enough to bend, without turning the sheath into a glob of melted thermoplastic, but eventually I got "brave" enough.  A pair of needle-nosed pliers aided the shaping process.  It is probably a little bit easier to see that the corners of the retention tab have been folded inward, as well as the whole tab itself.

This is the "finished product", with the knife in place.

Retention is substantially improved; this thing ain't falling out of its sheath any more!  Now to ty-rap the sheath to the shoulder strap of the pack in the typical inverted position, and the project is done.

Hope this helps someone else considering something similar.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top