Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 9:55:54 AM EDT
I have a Benchmade Nivravus that I am trying to get redone. She's seen a lot of work over in Iraq and just wanted to give her a little face lift as a welcome home present. I understand that they will resharpen the knife for free, but will they be able to get the small nicks out and refinish the blade as well? The parts of the blade that rub in the sheath have worn through the finish. I tried to call Benchmade today, but they are only open M-F. I figured I'd give this a shot and see if anyone has ever sent their knife back to Benchmade for work and what it entails. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd tell them your story, how you carried it around Iraq, maybe they'll be nice and help you out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I used one of my Benchmade autos for a no-no; prying the latch on a flash hider on an HK...I didn't deny the abuse or try to give them a story.  They considered putting a new edge on the knife and would have charged $35. for a new blade...
They graciously gave me a new blade and even attached another clip (which I took off) at no charge.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
They can resharpen it for you but they cannot recoat the blade. They may replace the knife for a fee, or not, your best bet is to E-mail them and see what they say. Plan on your knife being gone at least a month reguardless of what they do.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]
They can't/won't recoat the blade, but if it's still a current knife, or if by chance they have some left over blades, they will replace the blade.
Give them a call, their customer service is top notch, or it was a little while ago.

For recoating, you'll have to look at aftermarket refinishers.  Look at the same companies that refinish guns.  Especially the higher end finishes like boron carbide.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I did email them monday and got a response within a day.  They said they can't refinish it, but like you guys said, they will put a new blade on it for $35.  I think thats a pretty fair price for basically a new knife. The only thing that would be original would be the grips and sheath.  Anyway........thanks again for all the advice/info.  
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top