Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:30 PM EDT
So i've been looking for a few years for a knife that meets my requirements and have not found one. Lets see if any of you know of one.

I'm looking for a knife that is evenly balanced. Primary purpose would be a fighting blade, balance is an issue because it must be throwable. Double sided blade is nice but not required. I'm not looking for anything huge here. All you Crocodile Dundee fans can leave the behemoth at home. Along with balance comes weight. Proportion is the issue here.

So what say the hive? Anyone know of anything like that commercially available? I havent seen one yet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Randall #1-7" or #14 on the high end.  The Randall #1-7 is on of the fastest combat knives I have ever handled.  Benchmade Nimravus for a smaller knife that could also be thrown.  Maybe something from Ryan Wilson.  Maybe an older discontinued SOG Government, can also be thrown if needed.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Why throwable? If that is the case buy a throwing knife. A fighter is not supposed to be evenly balanced. Handle a F/S or Applegate, they are handle heavy, for quick blade movement. Randall makes great knives, I have a model 14 and love it, but it is a compromise as a fighter. If a fighting knife is what you desire a model 2 would be more appropriate.

Good production fighters include the SOG Desert Daggers, the Applegate, the Gerber Mk II, the Ek daggers, etc.
Probably the ultimate fighter that comes to mind is the Al Mar Warrior. It is very large and is best used in the reverse grip, but is the best knife for "trapping" an opponents arm. Not much utility to the blade though. JMHO
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not throwable?  Although not my preferred method of combat knife enployment its not a hinderence to the design.  As for a blade heavy balance, that is exactly what makes a good thrower, a more neutral balance makes the knife seem faster.  My soldiers and I spent quite a number of hours throwing Kabars and M9 bayonets during our deployment to Iraq.  A couple of the guys got really good.  Even Bo Randall threw his knives.  As for the double edge dagger being a superior fighter all the examples including the Randall #2 are poor cutters. and even when used in the reverse grip tend to rebound against the arm resulting in the user being cut.  And while I like the Al Mar Warrior, I would'nt ever call it the ultimate fighter, as one would need intensive instruction and experience to be able to take advantage of the design, and of course the price if you could locate one for sale would price it out of the "user" catagory and into the 'collector" relm.      
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the Kabars and the bayonets are serving the purpose. If you can throw those why look elsewhere? As for throwing your last ditch weapon at an enemy, unless you're doing it to distract him to get to a better weapon, I'll pass thank you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave throwing knives to the circus guys where it belongs - real life combat is a bad place for parlor tricks. If you screw up the throw guess what? There went your weapon, sailing on by the bad guy and now you have nothing but your wanker in your hand. Then you'll have to pull a Marcinko and commit assault with a friendly weapon.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
How did this become a throwing knife in combat thead?  Dude just wanted a well balanced knife he could throw.  I had soldiers who killed time throwing their knives, did'nt mean they did it when the shooting started, duh.  As it was we did'nt have to use our knives in combat, we just shot the little fuckers.  PBIR, whats your combat experience?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]
You are assuming what he wants throwing ability for. If you are correct then he still runs the risk of damaging his blade playing around with it. I've seen that happen plenty and then it's going to lose some/all of its effectiveness. Throwing a fighting knife is stupid unless you 100% know it is your only chance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How did this become a throwing knife in combat thead?  Dude just wanted a well balanced knife he could throw.  I had soldiers who killed time throwing their knives, did'nt mean they did it when the shooting started, duh.  As it was we did'nt have to use our knives in combat, we just shot the little fuckers.  PBIR, whats your combat experience?

The original poster said "primary purpose would be a fighting blade."

PBIR and I just feel that fighting blades are not meant to be thrown. If you want to go throw a Randall, they make special knives for that purpose. I won't be chucking my 14 at anytime in the near future though.

Pbir, sorry for speaking for you, if you disagree.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Time to revisit this. Ok, i like a knife that can be thrown as well as carried. When i was on active duty i threw knives to pass time. Knife throwing is fun. If i was in combat i would not be throwing my last ditch weapon at a bad guy. Not that stupid.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
B-O-A-T-S,
Can't find a link or homepage but the Tru-Bal McEvoy models might suit your needs. I don't know if they are still in production but they were combat knives that were designed to be thrown. Balanced and I think the hardness was kept down a little to prevent brittleness.
They were made by Harry McEvoy and later his son. Pretty popular in Vietnam as camp/combat knives. No idea on pricing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Marine, need to pull yourself into the 21st Century.  Although every knife you've been recommending is a great knife, almost everyone is out of production.  The Tru-Bal knives, even though produced for a while after McEvoy's death, pretty much died with him back in the early 90s and are not available.  You have good taste in knives.    
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top