Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:40:17 PM EDT
I was browsing the UsualSuspect today, and came across a link to a custom knifemaker in Brazil named Ivan Campos.  Here's his website.  He has a good selection of knives in stock, and will make one to your specs.  Most of them are in the $100 range!

These are utilitarian, no-nonsense knives - just what I've been looking for for a long time.  His website doesn't have pictures of "operators" about to breach an embassy with a knife.  No "gothic/Batman" designs, 5160 steel instead of the latest stainless wonder steel, and communication is excellent.  I emailed him tonight and he got right back to me within 1/2 hour.   He gets a lot of praise from the members of bladeforums.com and usualsuspect.net.

He told me that there is a 30 day wait for knives that are not in stock.  I'll post an update when it shows up.  (He wouldn't take payment up front, for the record)

I thought I might pass this along to those who are looking for a quality custom knife but don't want to pay $300 - $1,000,000,000,000 for it.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard of Ivan before. Thanks for the link. Those blades definitely look like real users and I like 5160 in a working blade as long as it has a proper heat treat. It looks like he uses a differential tempering technique or maybe even zone hardening. The only thing I wish is that the blades actually had scales on them instead of the paracord. I don't like paracord on a carbon steel blade because of moisture retention and the accompanying corrosion factor. Other than that, these look really sweet. Especially the Mega Chopper. I am a sucker for large chopping blades and that one looks like it would do the job. Thanks again.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have heard of Ivan before. Thanks for the link. Those blades definitely look like real users and I like 5160 in a working blade as long as it has a proper heat treat. It looks like he uses a differential tempering technique or maybe even zone hardening. The only thing I wish is that the blades actually had scales on them instead of the paracord. I don't like paracord on a carbon steel blade because of moisture retention and the accompanying corrosion factor. Other than that, these look really sweet. Especially the Mega Chopper. I am a sucker for large chopping blades and that one looks like it would do the job. Thanks again.

He does rayskin/cordwrap handles, too.  That would probably help with the moisture retention problem.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top