Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 3:48:21 AM EDT
Hey guys,

For the last two or three years I've been carrying around this Smith and Wesson SWAT Tanto blade folder. I think I gave maybe $30 for it on ebay, its served me well, but I'm ready to upgrade and I need some idea/opions. I like folders, preferably with a thumb screw on the blade and with a straight age, I'm not a big fan of the straight edge/serrated edge combo blades. Also something other than 440 steel, 440 I've heard and am experiencing now, is a major PITA to sharpen. I've been looking around and I seem to have found one I really like. The Benchmade Auto Stryker 9100 Straight Edge. I haven't seen too many of the Auto Stryker's in the straight edge. What are the opinions on this blade?

www.tlimages.com/images/users/2834/mikefirebird049.jpg
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never used the Stryker, but have owned and used many Benchmades.  The blade is 154CM, which is a superb stainless; much better than the 440 series for edge retention.  It is about on par with ATS-34.  Stain resistance will not be as good as 440C, but is still very good.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
my question is, is the 154 easier to sharpen or harder to sharpen than the 440?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Sly, that really depends upon your sharpening skills and the tools you will be using.  I am not trying to be evasive, but I have found over the years that any knife can be sharpened fairly easily if you have the right tools.  154CM will be a higher Rc value (harder), so in that sense it may be a bit more difficult.  If you are using a series of whetstones and are experienced with them, it will not matter.  If you are using something like a Lansky, DMT or Spyderco Sharpmaker, it will also be easy depending upon the bevels.  The most important thing in shapening a knife is accurate, even bevels on both sides of the blade.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sly, that really depends upon your sharpening skills and the tools you will be using.  I am not trying to be evasive, but I have found over the years that any knife can be sharpened fairly easily if you have the right tools.  154CM will be a higher Rc value (harder), so in that sense it may be a bit more difficult.  If you are using a series of whetstones and are experienced with them, it will not matter.  If you are using something like a Lansky, DMT or Spyderco Sharpmaker, it will also be easy depending upon the bevels.  The most important thing in shapening a knife is accurate, even bevels on both sides of the blade.

thanx,  what about AUS-8 Steel? Is it better than 154?  I'm considering buying a SOG Flash Tanto like this:
images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/10056981/Images/101003%20003.jpg

I can't decide between the Auto Stryker and the SOG, the SOG is half the price, but the Benchmade is an auto, not just an assisted opening.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanx,  what about AUS-8 Steel? Is it better than 154?  I'm considering buying a SOG Flash Tanto like this:
images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/10056981/Images/101003%20003.jpg

I can't decide between the Auto Stryker and the SOG, the SOG is half the price, but the Benchmade is an auto, not just an assisted opening.

154cm is definitely better than AUS-8, in both edgeholding and toughness. Spend a little extra and go with the Benchmade, you won't be sorry.

Are you dead set on an auto? If not, there are tons of great blades out there that I can recommend. Auto's are nice but overrated IMHO.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
154cm is definitely better than AUS-8, in both edgeholding and toughness. Spend a little extra and go with the Benchmade, you won't be sorry.

Are you dead set on an auto? If not, there are tons of great blades out there that I can recommend. Auto's are nice but overrated IMHO.

100% agreement with this post.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#7]
don't really need an auto or assisted blade, just all the blade styles i've found so far that I like have been those. What are the thoughs on this:

cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BENCHMADE-4200-RESISTOR-AXIS-KNIFE_W0QQitemZ6604188333QQcategoryZ73531QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6604121676&fromMakeTrack=true
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I am a big fan of the Axis lock, one of which is my daily carry.  I have never had one fail.  I prefer the HK version from you links.  I like the bolster and handle design better than the other.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am a big fan of the Axis lock, one of which is my daily carry.  I have never had one fail.  I prefer the HK version from you links.  I like the bolster and handle design better than the other.

what exactly is that, the axis lock?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top