Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/31/2006 11:35:45 AM EDT
I'm considering getting a Strider SMF, but before I take that plunge, I want to see what else that maybe I should consider or get some feedback on whether this knife is worth that kind of money.  So... please, add your 2 cents.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Im partial to Benchmade as I feel they are the best combination of quality, best value, and great cust. service. Having said that, I would suggest either a Benchmade 710 HS (discontinued) if you can find one or a Benchmade 710 in D2. You can save a little money and not skimp on steel by going with the Benchmade Griptilian in D2 (exclusive to cabelas). These come in two sizes, both OD green and Black handles, and plain or serrated edge. A bargain at $79.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Best place to buy Benchmade Knives?  Does anybody have a direct link?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Im partial to Benchmade as I feel they are the best combination of quality, best value, and great cust. service. Having said that, I would suggest either a Benchmade 710 HS (discontinued) if you can find one or a Benchmade 710 in D2. You can save a little money and not skimp on steel by going with the Benchmade Griptilian in D2 (exclusive to cabelas). These come in two sizes, both OD green and Black handles, and plain or serrated edge. A bargain at $79.

These are great suggestions. I just recently purchased a Benchmade 710 HS in M2 steel because they were being discontinued. It is a great folder. The Griptilians are also great folders. They are currently on sale at Grand Prairie Knives for about $20 bucks cheaper than they are everywhere else. Heres a link, they are about halfway down the page:

www.gpknives.com/store/Benchmade-Knives.html?page=2

Here is where I ordered my 710 HS from. Better hurry, they are going quick.

www.newgraham.com/benchmad30.htm

Here are a couple pics of my 710 HS,

Another awesome folder is the Al Mar S.E.R.E. 2000. It is a tank and cuts like hell. It is VG10 steel and constructed with a fit and finish approaching custom levels. Amazing folder, can't go wrong with this one. Heres a link:

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1429

Heres a couple pics of mine,

The Strider is a great knife, just very expensive. If you really want the SMF, go for it, but I think that these other blades would fit your needs just as well and last you a lifetime. I like Striders, but for the price of the SMF, you could have the Benchmade and the Al Mar and still have some cash leftover. That's the route I would take as these two blades are tougher than anything I could put them through. You should go over to www.bladeforums.com and do some searches on the blades you are looking at. Tons of good reviews and info over there. Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]
WilsonCQB1911,

What are you using this knife for? Every day use, on duty, hunting, etc.. I agree with lefthandblack in regards to the knives he listed. My personal opinion is that you get what you pay for. I carry several different knives on duty. The Columbia River Knife and Tool's M16 is a great knife that I have used on duty for the last 7 years. That knife is durable enough that I know I can depend on it to cut through anything but cheap enough that if something happens and I lose it I won't be excessively pissed off. For a cheap knife that is highly recommended. I also carry a Buck / Strider FB for SWAT. This is a fixed blade monster that is completely bomb proof. In a nut shell...if your life may depend on this knife..spend the extra money. Other wise you can cut some corners and save some dough. Check Ebay for some excellent deals on knives. My Strider retails for around $150-160 and I was able to get it, new in the box, for $109.00.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top