Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 8:35:24 PM EDT
I was looking for something to replace my 710 Axis lock.  I had bough this particular 710 in 2002 right after BM made the switch to 154cm from ats34, supposedly it was the same steel, just domestically produced, but I was never happy with the blade.  It never took an edge and never stayed sharp like the early model 710 that I had before and had given away to a friend that was cutlery impaired.

The lack of edge retention and edge acceptance that the 710 suffered was more than made up for in the overall handiness and utility of the knife.  I decided that the extra effort in keeping a mediocre edge on it was worth it for a knife that would be perfectly suited for "always being there" for me.

But I longed for a powdersteel knife.  I used to have a Spyderco Starmate in 440v that had an amazing ability to seemingly keep cutting forever.  I had used it in a warehouse, daily cutting large amounts of cardboard and it kept cutting, well enough that co workers noticed how well it worked in comparison to their box cutters.

So I went searching for a new knife.  I love the Axis lock, and I love the design of the 710, and saw that they made a tool steel version of the knife and almost purchased that, but I did a quick search for knives made of s30v, and lo and behold, there it was: The RUKUS.  

Overall Length: 10.12"
Blade Length: 4.30"
Blade Thickness: 0.160"
Blade Material: CPM-S30V Stainless (58-60 HRC)
Lock: Axis Lock
Handle Material: Green Canvas Micarta
Handle Length: 5.95"
Weight: 7.70 oz.
Bolster(s): G10
Liner(s): Stainless Steel
Clip: Stainless Steel

The 710 axis had a blade length of 3.9" and weighs 4 oz or so and so I was expecting a slightly larger knife, but the RUKUS dwarfs the 710 in comparison.  The RUKUS is nearly twice as thick as the 710, and the blade is a good bit thicker as well.  

Since I got it I have been re-familiarizing with the wonders of powdersteel again.  In my opinion, powdersteel is to knives what optics were to firearms.  The cutting ability is amazing, as well as edge retention.  It cuts well enough that even my wife who is usually oblivious to such things was impressed.  There is not a scrap of uncut cardboard in the house, and even old copies of Shotgun news are unsafe from my reign of slicing terror.  Finally, I was able to perform what has been my personal holy grail, slicing a paper towel.  I know that sounds pretty stupid, but it takes a pretty decent edge to pull that off without tearing.

The action of the knife is nearly as smooth as a Microtech's, and that is pretty impressive.  I tried to get a shot of the hinge area to show that it had bronze bushings, but I do not think that they came out too well.  it is "liquid" smooth in both opening and closing, almost too smooth.  One may have to consider tightening it up.  Lock up is typically rock solid, and while I have my doubts that the axis is the strongest lock in the world, it is a really good lock and very user friendly, and it is nice to be able to close the knife without having to put fingers in harm's way like a liner lock or a mono lock of some sort.

My main gripes are that the clip is really, really weak, and that the finish on the clip appears to be paint as it is already flaking off with no real hard use at this point.  Also the clip is not the standard type found on most knives, but it appears proprietary and designed for this particular knife, which will be a drag if it gets broken or damaged.  Because of the weak clip I do not think I will be able to EDC this knife as it would fall out of my pocket too easily.  I might carry it behind the hip from time to time though.

the smaller knife in the pics is the aformentioned 710 Mchenry & Williams

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool. Where did you purchase it? Most places seem to be sold out, or are overpriced. I just recently purchased a 710 in M2 steel since they were discontinuing it. Cuts like the dickens. I have had my eye on the Rukus for awhile. Awesome looking blade and I love CPM-S30v steel. I will have one someday. Thanks for the pics and the review. Post More Pics!!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I scored this one on Egay.  #209 of 1000 1st production run.  My goal is to make the other 999 .1% more rare because I am not a collector, just a user.  

I lucked out, I got it for $162 + shipping.  There is another vendor that is selling them on a pre order for $159 a pop, not bad considering the MSRP is $279.  IT is worth the $, but I am still disappointed in the clip.  it may be worth considering getting a nice sheath for it at a later time.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I scored this one on Egay.  #209 of 1000 1st production run.  My goal is to make the other 999 .1% more rare because I am not a collector, just a user.  

I lucked out, I got it for $162 + shipping.  There is another vendor that is selling them on a pre order for $159 a pop, not bad considering the MSRP is $279.  IT is worth the $, but I am still disappointed in the clip.  it may be worth considering getting a nice sheath for it at a later time.  

Wow, that is a great price. I will have to check around. Thanks and have fun!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#4]
My Rukus

Picked mine up for $155 here:

Grand Prairie Knives
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My Rukus

Picked mine up for $155 here:

Grand Prairie Knives

Very nice, they seem to be sold out now. I wonder when the next production run will be?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw he grand prairie knives site as well in my quest to own one.  All the sold out shops were why I ended up on Ebay.

I hope they do something about the clip, but other than that, this puppy is a winner in my book.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#7]

I hope they do something about the clip, but other than that, this puppy is a winner in my book.

I have removed the clip. I want to carry it on my belt. I am thinking of having one of these made for it:

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I am hooked on pocket clip carry, and between my ccw and swisstool, I have enough on my belt as it is.  I have made and used various kydex holsters for knives and have come to the conclusion that they are not for me.  (translation: I am too damn fat and they rub me funny)

I managed to tighten up the clip some and it seems to be staying put mostly because of size and how deeply it clips onto the pocket.

I wish they would come out with a 710 in this steel.  That would be sweet.  

So far I am really happy with the RUKUS, it did not require any work out of the box to smooth it out like my AXIS did, and the thing takes and holds an edge.  I'll post back after I abuse it for a while.  Already cut open cans of food and sliced tons of cardboard, I hope to test it out on some branches soon as well.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]

So far I am really happy with the RUKUS, it did not require any work out of the box to smooth it out like my AXIS did, and the thing takes and holds an edge. I'll post back after I abuse it for a while. Already cut open cans of food and sliced tons of cardboard, I hope to test it out on some branches soon as well.

Mine also was suprisingly smooth to open for such a large folder. I wish it had a tad larger thumbstuds.
I touched mine up with the white sticks from a Spyderco Sharpmaker and it has a nasty edge now.
It certainly is beefy enough to hack down a few saplings!

It is just too darn large for me to carry on a clip comfortably. (Might scare the women). I am going to try the kydex route and see how that goes. I am like you though....where to put it when I have a Sig P229, a spare mag and a cell phone already hanging from the belt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, your post inspired me;

I went out and bought one as soon as I read this thread.  Got number 0288/1000.

Initial impressions:

Very big
Super duper smooth
Solid 'bank vault' feel
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Initial impressions:

Very big
Super duper smooth
Solid 'bank vault' feel

how is it working out for you?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Initial impressions:

Very big
Super duper smooth
Solid 'bank vault' feel

how is it working out for you?

Good enough that I'll post a pic for you during Super Bowl pregame.

I love it.  Prefer the blade shape over the Skirmish.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Good enough that I'll post a pic for you during Super Bowl pregame.

I love it.  Prefer the blade shape over the Skirmish.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/THR-Thumper/Picture031960x720.jpg

Well that settles it, that is going to be my next knife! I just got the 06' catalog yesterday and saw it and instantly knew I must have it, came to ask peoples opinions and I see a few people already have it :D
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I have beaten on it, hut 2" branches with it, hacked stuff, and cut tons of cardboard.  No chips in the blade, but I will say that if you do hit metal with it, it will take the edge right off, but it sharpens back up easily.  Still locks up tight.  

I still think that it is a bit big and heavy for an EDC, but I have gotten used to it.  Edge holding with cardboard it awesome, much better than most knives, and I have not chipped off the tip despite heavy use.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine's been my EDC since I got it.  I wear it with slacks every day.  It sits right along the seam of my pants.  Not too big at all.

The green scales have gotten a little darker, but no other changes at all.  I use it on everything from cardboard boxes to cutting Cat V cable.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top