Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 6:10:48 AM EDT
I'm a little confused on the legallities of owning an auto knife. Seems like I see ads for autos here and there in gun mags and it "seems" lik you can just mail order them or whatever. I've never gone out of my way to see if they sell them at gun shows or not...

So are they illegal to buy and/or own? Or just illegal to carry unless youre special?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean "Auto Knives". Do you mean switchblades. My "Friend" has all sorts of auto knives. He collects knives and keeps them in displays though. He does not carry them on his person.

He says they are ilegal but he always seems to find them at the knife shows he goes to.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What do you mean "Auto Knives".

Knives that I guess have some sort of spring and a button that when pushed forces the blade out. either from the front or the side.

I have a Benchmade Auto that I was issued when I was in Afghanistan. Obviously I kept it. To me I don't see what the big deal is. I have seen people open knoves with the thumb stud on the blade just as fast if not faster than an auto knife.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It's all up to your state laws. Here in KY, you can own autos and carry them concealed if you have a CCDW permit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What do you mean "Auto Knives".

Knives that I guess have some sort of spring and a button that when pushed forces the blade out. either from the front or the side.

I have a Benchmade Auto that I was issued when I was in Afghanistan. Obviously I kept it. To me I don't see what the big deal is. I have seen people open knoves with the thumb stud on the blade just as fast if not faster than an auto knife.

That was what I thought you were saying. I guess you have to fing out if its legal in your state of residence.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That was what I thought you were saying. I guess you have to fing out if its legal in your state of residence.

Is there a website that breaks it down by state and simplifies all the BS wordage for the average retard like me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#7]
You might want to check out this site:

www.packing.org/

They provide a basic summary of knife related laws for most states as well CCW and open carry info for all states.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I laugh at some of the knife makers who will only sell autos to LEOs.  There's nothing special about them.  WTF?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
dont see the big fuss with switchblades other than you can open them one handed, I can do that with a regular folder knife.  Some new models even have a little knob on top of the blade to facilitate this
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You might want to check out this site:
www.packing.org/

Huh... I thought that was only for carrying guns... silly me. Thanks

ETA:

Knife carry law summary
Date updated: Aug 26, 2005 @ 9:31 pm

§ 4-101. Dangerous weapons.

(a)Definitions.-
(5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.
(ii) "Weapon" does not include:
1. a handgun; or
2. a penknife without a switchblade.

§ 4-105. Transfer of switchblade or shooting knife.

(a) Prohibited.- A person may not sell, barter, display, or offer to sell or barter:
(1) a knife or a penknife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, commonly called a switchblade knife or a switchblade penknife; or (2) a device that is designed to propel a knife from a metal sheath by means of a high-compression ejector spring, commonly called a shooting knife.

Well... that sucks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]
IN COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL STATUTES:

Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:
(1) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;
(2) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;
(3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory; (4) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).

pretty much puts a stop to internet sales for civilians but the people selling them at the gun shows (at least here in FL) never ask for any kind of credentials
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#12]
The Federal law above only applies to the selling of auto knives across state lines. If your state allows possession it is completely legal to purchase an auto from a dealer in your state. In FL we have no law against the possession of auto knives with the exception of ballistic knives (no big loss there). Benchmade is the only major maker that I'm aware of that limits autos to LEO/MIL only. That's a company policy they enforce on authorized dealers, not a law.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top