Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/26/2005 10:16:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice .  I was just looking at them yesterday, and comtemplating buying one of the Swamp Rat bandicoots.  You obviously like the knives produced by the company.  Any opinion on the bandicoots?  I'm just looking for a general purpose everyday carrier - best knive I've ever owned was a Schrade $20 outback...so I'm a newbie on the more rugged tough knives.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any opinion on the bandicoots?

Mine arrived about 2 wks ago.

I haven't done any major outdoor chores with it yet...but I think it will be perfect for everyday tasks and cleaning critters.

Very good quality leather sheath - holds knife securely.

The handle material is great - wish it was about 1/4" longer though.  Got it wet while slicing tomatoes and it didn't get unmanageably slippery.  I was debating about asking here how thick the handle is as I'd like to Dremel/file a little - but didn't yet.

Cut a box or 2 easily.

Sliced tomatoes well enough.

I carved a turkey with it yesterday.

Blade arrived sharp enough to shave hair on my arm.

Need to get out in the woods with it.

I have my Recon Scout for sale in the EE - I'm gonna buy another Rat as a BFK - as soon as I can decide which one.

Coupla Swamp Rat reviews here: www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/reviews.html

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey....what gives, Hank?

You posted more/better pictures over at RatChat.  HAHA!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sagus, this Swamp Rat chat room may interest you: www.swampratknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks backstop, much appreciated info
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Great lookin little blade, let us know how she works!

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Any opinion on the bandicoots?

Mine arrived about 2 wks ago.

I haven't done any major outdoor chores with it yet...but I think it will be perfect for everyday tasks and cleaning critters.

Very good quality leather sheath - holds knife securely.

The handle material is great - wish it was about 1/4" longer though.  Got it wet while slicing tomatoes and it didn't get unmanageably slippery.  I was debating about asking here how thick the handle is as I'd like to Dremel/file a little - but didn't yet.

Cut a box or 2 easily.

Sliced tomatoes well enough.

I carved a turkey with it yesterday.

Blade arrived sharp enough to shave hair on my arm.

Need to get out in the woods with it.

I have my Recon Scout for sale in the EE - I'm gonna buy another Rat as a BFK - as soon as I can decide which one.

Coupla Swamp Rat reviews here: www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/reviews.html

Backstop - didnt you order that a while back? That took a while huh?? Welcome to the addiction.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
got myself a little christmas present this year, a new RatHunter by Swamp Rat. even managed to get a pic snapped of it before she went to the safe.

she's the one in the brown dress.

Hank, is that Rat Hunter D2???

You need to start buying some pants for those bad boys!!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
hell, man, i didn't know you were over at rat chat! small world!

and to answer your question on tang width (handle width), it should be the same as the blade. as far as the actual measurement of the resiprene handle, not sure. the thickness of them is the only thing that has kept me away from the res-c handled rats, as i would almost think they would be too thick for EDC. if you do dremel it, let us know how it turns out. and just in case, you may want to contact eric isaacson over at rat chat before you do anything, as you know that will void your warranty.

HAHA!  I haven't registered there, but have been reading for 4 months or so - off and on.

I've been on the 'perfect knife search' for a year or so - and found Swamp Rat - and there I'll stay.

As far as taking as modifying the Coot handle - I'd just like to square up the inside diameter where my index finger rests on the 'handle/guard' area - if that makes sense.  And I completely agree about asking SW about how much handle material is actually there.  

Warranty?  I'm not worried about it - if what I do voids the warranty, so be it.  That will have no effect on the durability, quality, etc. of the knife.  A great will not be ruined by whether the warranty is in effect.  If I somehow destroy the handle, I'll ask them to replace it and pay for it myself, make a handle myself, or have some else replace the handle.

I'm the type of person that doesn't buy things to look at and store in the safe - I buy them to use.  Although there is nothing wrong with collecting - it's just not my thing.  And if I take my Swamp Rat and pound it through a CMU block, there's no way in hell I'd ask Swamp Rat to honor a warranty.  That's not my style.  I'll bet some people do it, though...

I have a PUK that I really like - and I did the same handle treatment on.  And yes, I went too far and exposed the tang - no matter.  The PUK is a great knife, but I wanted something that wasn't quite so tactical, and would be better for skinning critters, cutting kindling, etc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Backstop - didnt you order that a while back? That took a while huh?? Welcome to the addiction.

Sure did.  Ordered on 12 Sep 2005, Order #3575.

How did you know that - I never mentioned it to anyone...

Seems like I've seen your screenname or a close variant over there - guess I should go check.  

Well thinking about it for a second, the only way you could know is if you were an employee of Swamp Rat.  HAHA!

Just sold my Recon Scout (another experimental search knife) a bit ago - so now I need a BFK.  A Camp Tramp was the tentative winner - but IIRC it has been discontinued.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Bandicoot on my belt right now. It has been my constant companion for the last three weeks, and is riding in an OD Buy Brown Kydex sheath with the Tec Lock. The fit is super snug, but releases instanlty with a sharp tug.

You will love the 'Coot if you are looking for an EDC that is just about right. It is well concealed in the high ride kydex under an Eisenhower length jacket.

This is one tough knife. I used it to pry trim and sheetrock off the wall in the back bedroom, then carved up a country ham over the holidays. It is very lightweight, a slim profile, and popular.

Even after use you can sell it and get your money back, and it has the bombproof warranty that cannot be beat.

If you decide you don't like it I will buy it from you.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/TerryNewton1/IM001407.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/TerryNewton1/IM001414.jpg

The second pic shows the 'Coot alongside the Howling Fat. Keep in mind I have big hands.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...OD Buy Brown Kydex sheath with the Tec Lock. The fit is super snug, but releases instanlty with a sharp tug.

That looks nice - have to check into that.

If you decide you don't like it I will buy it from you.

Neither will happen in this lifetime...

Thanks for taking the time to post pics.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure did.  Ordered on 12 Sep 2005, Order #3575.

How did you know that - I never mentioned it to anyone...

Seems like I've seen your screenname or a close variant over there - guess I should go check.  

Well thinking about it for a second, the only way you could know is if you were an employee of Swamp Rat.  HAHA!

Just sold my Recon Scout (another experimental search knife) a bit ago - so now I need a BFK.  A Camp Tramp was the tentative winner - but IIRC it has been discontinued.

I remember an old post here asking if anyone had one and that you were thinking of ordering one. I actually owned an INFI Coot which I recently sold and am regretting it. That is a limited run Bandicoot but in desert tan, and with an INFI blade.

The Camp Tramp would make a good addition to the Bandicoot, however for a little more money you could order a Ratweiler as I think they are still available.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I remember an old post here asking if anyone had one and that you were thinking of ordering one. I actually owned an INFI Coot which I recently sold and am regretting it. That is a limited run Bandicoot but in desert tan, and with an INFI blade.

The Camp Tramp would make a good addition to the Bandicoot, however for a little more money you could order a Ratweiler as I think they are still available.

I forgot about that...

Yep - Camp Tramp vs Ratweiler - that's where I was stuck for a while.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#17]
just ordered a bandicoot and ratweiller.

Hank, do you know what is the wait time on those? 6 weeks ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know how wide - at the widest point - the Ratweiler blade is?  

Width, not thickness.

I have a BK7 I'd like to compare it to.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
just ordered a bandicoot and ratweiller.

Hank, do you know what is the wait time on those? 6 weeks ?
Thanks

don't know on the coot, but from everything i have gathered on the ratweiler, it should be shipping very soon, probably within a week or two.

great. will get a custom sheath from buy brown as well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top