Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/7/2005 8:13:50 PM EDT
I just read some of the CRKT post, and was suprised at how many people like them. I got one of the m-16s before going to Iraq, worked fine for awhile...... wound up breaking the tip, folding the edge, and the lock let go on me twice, cut me pretty bad the first time, I threw it away after the 2nd. I was very dissapointed. I got a Kershaw whirlwind after that, used it the same and it has treated me great.
I broke the tip using it as a screw driver on my GLASSES!
Don't remember what I did to fold the edge
And the lock gave out when I stuck it into the lid of an ammo crate
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure how tha knife's blade is ground. It might have been to thin to take the heavy work. If your Kershaw fails try a Cold Steel Voyager, it is one the strongest folders made for the price. If you can afford a custom hand made($350-500) look at Charles Marlowes work. He builds them extreemly stout and lock up tighter then a bank vault! My 2 Marlows blades are 3/16 inch thick and are made wide so the edge is not to thick.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have'nt had good luck with CRKT folders either. Without the LAWKS system, their locks are just too unreliable for me. I like their fixed blades though.

You might want to try something a little tougher, like an Al Mar S.E.R.E. 2000, Benchmade 710 or a Spyderco Chinook or Manix. If you want the toughest possible folder you can buy, Check out the Extrema Ratio M.P.C. It is an absolute brute and very heavy duty. Heres a couple pics I took of mine.

Al Mar S.E.R.E. 2000

Extrema Ratio M.P.C.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
that extrema ratio is gorgeous! where did you pick it up?

two more words for you...

rat...

trap...

Got it from the Bright Edge for, your not going to believe this, $200 bucks brand new a few months back. It was his last one and he just wanted to clear his inventory of it. Anywhere else this knife is about $300 or more. I have never seen one as cheap as $200.

BTW, I have never handled a Rat Trap, but I have read good things. Is it a good companion to their fixed blades in terms of toughness?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, I haven't been overly impressed with my CRKT M16, either.  I've had the liner lock slip on me before, so I don't count on it any more.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking folders !!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Sog Pentagon elite or anything with the Sog Arc lock you will not break the lock period.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on not trusting the CRKT folders. I'm a benchmade fan from way back. Specifically the Mini AFCK folder.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
M.O.D all the way.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a bencmade too, to an extent, the Al Mar sere 2000 is a great knife, I want one. I have been using the Round Eye Knife and Tool Carnivore for about 2 years now, toughest folder I've ever seen! I think the company went under awhile ago, damn shame too, the lock they use is amazing. how much did that extrema ratio run? and were can you find them?
Anyone have experience with Mercworx? I took a look at one of the fixed blades a little while ago, WOW! nice feeling knife
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I broke 4 or 5 Benchmades, 1 Emmerson, countless Bucks, etc. until I finally found Microtech.  Now, that is all I use.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Frankly, linerlocks are notorious for closing at the wrong time and cutting the crap out of you.
Get a good lockback knife or go fixed blade for heavy work. Do not buy a liner lock!!!!
I am a knife dealer and have seen this so much, I won't even stock them anymore.

www.southernblades.com
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
CRKT and Kershaw are a great budget line, but not close to top tier.  For production, I'd rate Benchmade and Spyderco near the top.  Microtech is also a fantastic maker, but less common than Benchmades and Spydercos.
IMO the extra safety on the CRKT's liner locks in't there to give extra safety, it's to give some safety period to their crappy locks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#16]
[quoteIs it a good companion to their fixed blades in terms of toughness?
]

I just received my Trap in the mail this past Saturday. It IS NOT meant to be used hard! It was meant to carry nicely for such a large size, and cut very efficiently. Both of the goals have been accomplished.

The Trap was not built like a tank, but it was not meant to be, either.

I don't think you are abusing your knives, I do everything you have stated, and have no problems whatsoever, save having to sharpen them again, which is to be expected. I do think you are using the wrong type of knife, however.

Unless there is some reason you are set on a folder you should go to a fixed blade immediately. Any type of lock is mechanical, and can fail sooner or later. Later can mean an amputated finger. This is bad, okay. :)

A fixed blades lock will not fail. It has much more inherent strength, and you can buy one that overall is about the same size package as a large folder.

A couple I can think of that I own are the Swamp Rat Howling Rat and Bandicoot. Those are two tough blades, and are priced appropriately. There are also many other brand name fixed blades out there that are as tough as nails.

The CRKT is a popular knife because it is inexpensive. The steel is a lesser quality, w/o a lot of heat treating. This does not mean they are bad knives, I just think they have their limitations when being used in the manner you described.

Get you a good fixed blade, and carry a folder for more delicate cutting chores.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I broke 4 or 5 Benchmades, 1 Emmerson, countless Bucks, etc. until I finally found Microtech.  Now, that is all I use.

What is it you did to the Benchmades that caused them to break? I cant imagine the microtech folders are any stronger and I own both as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sog Pentagon elite or anything with the Sog Arc lock you will not break the lock period.  

Big +1 on SOG. I'm a huge fan of their products. I own four, and am looking at two more. I carry two of them daily, on duty and off, and I haven't had one fail me yet. My folders are a Trident, Flash 2 spear point, and Flash 2 tanto.  I carry a Seal Knife 2000 when fishing and boating, and it saved our ass when we got a THICK buoy line wrapped around the prop. It was in November, out on eastern Long Island Sound. The water was friggin cold, with 4-5ft seas. The SOG was a big help. The knives are relatively inexpensive, and high quality.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#20]
BENCHMADE!

anything with axis lock, liner locks suck

If you are breaking blades you are abusing them.

If you need a screwdriver, carry one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#21]
It was just the screw on my glasses! I understand what you're saying but I won't ever carry a screw driver THAT small
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#22]

If you are breaking blades you are abusing them.

Um, okay. But perhaps you are missing out on some really great knives.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top