Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:58:09 PM EDT
anybody got one? ive wanted one for a while. i have heard great things about their customer service. i am a cadet in ROTC and will put it through its paces. oppinions?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
if you keep in mind that it's a "tactical" knife and not a "utility" knife(which the issue knife is better suited)..

the Nimravus is great at stabbing, slashing soft materials; but lousy at prying, chopping hard materials
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a hard duty knife to "put through it's paces" you might look at the Cold Steel SRK.  It's an ugly thick knife; my first one (sadly stolen from me) got used for everything from skinning to diving to cutting fishing nets and prying open wooden cases along with everything in between.  

I've got a Nimravus too and it's  much nicer looking knife that I'd rather have in a knife fight but I wouldn't treat it like I do the Cold Steel.    
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you want a hard duty knife to "put through it's paces" you might look at the Cold Steel SRK.  It's an ugly thick knife; my first one (sadly stolen from me) got used for everything from skinning to diving to cutting fishing nets and prying open wooden cases along with everything in between.  

I've got a Nimravus too and it's  much nicer looking knife that I'd rather have in a knife fight but I wouldn't treat it like I do the Cold Steel.    

+1.  What's a soldier going to use his knife for?  I think you'll find you'll be cutting thinks much more than people and likely using it to pry stuff.  It's going to get abused.  It's gonna be a weapon of the last resort if it's going to be used as a weapon at all.  The SRK is a good pick for that.  you can abuse it and it will keep a good edge so if your rifle breaks and your pistol breaks and there isn't a dead body with an available rifle or pistol in the nearby vicinity, you'll be able to make one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Bm nimravus and I would rather use  my cold steel folders for hard use.  The nimravus is a sharpened letter opener unsuitable for any hard work.  Too thin, the handle is uncomfortable for extended periods of time, to light to hack with, Material is too hard/brittle for anything but light duty cutting, the blade coating does not wear well, the sheath is meant for concealment and would not be suitable for long term belt carry, and so on.

Like said before it is a "tactical" knife, meant to be handy for a knife fight/backup, it is a specialized tool.

Mine is clipped to the visor of my truck, mostly because it has an exposed point at the butt, and it would be handy to break glass if necessary.  Otherwise I gave up carrying it for reason above and it is a glorified letter opener.  It sure looks cool though, almost like something from United Cutlery.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for the SRK and also look at the Recon Scout.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked at the SRK and also the buck night hawk. i ended up getting the nighthawk. its 1/4 in thick steel until about 2 inches from the point, and i got it for $40 shipped. my only 2 things i am disapointed on, 1 the blade grind could have been more symetrical out on the tip, and its a bitch to sharpen! the steel is really hard. i guess thats good though. also if i break the tip, it lookslike it will eaisily sharpen to a new one.  i got the big 650 nighthawk.its huge. and the sheath fits over my lbe pistol belt.

any opinions?
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top