Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 11:15:19 PM EDT
What Is 420 HC Stainless ?  Is it any good for a knife blade?  Does it take a good edge?  Will it hold a sharp edge?  I saw it here:

Buck Vanguard

Is this a decent knife or what?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Mike, it all depends on the heat treat.  420 has a nominal chemical analysis of:

C .40 - .54
Cr 12.00 - 14.00
Mn .50
Mo .60 - 1.00
V .20 - .50
Si .40 - .80

which means it is a bit light on carbon and cannot attain the hardness of its big brother, 440C, or some of the better stainless steels available today.  However, with the amount of chromium present it is definitely stainless.  The border is usually considered 13%.  The relatively low carbon content  means that heat treat must be optimal.  Cryogenics would almost be mandatory to ensure a good performing blade.  I have no idea how Buck handles the heat treat for that knife.  420HC is typically used because it is very easy on machine tools and stamp presses.  It takes a very nice polish.  I would say that with a reasonable heat treatment it should perform decently.  I have heard that the hardness runs in the Rc 57 range.  That is a bit on the soft side for a working blade, but it should take a decent edge and be easy to sharpen.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top