Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 8/14/2005 1:45:13 PM EDT
i know how to sharpen a "normal" knife with a symmetrical beveled edge.
My new M16 has a "deep" bevel; on one side of the edge and the other side has almost no bevel.  
Do you sharpen it any differently?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I sharpen mine like a chisel...sharpen one side and just debur the "unsharpened" side. I use a Smith sharpening vise. I think I use the 25degree position.

BadKarma
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks.
can you get a razor edge doing it that way?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get it really sharp. sharp enough to shave your arm.
Always use oil on the stones. Go coarse to fine then debur the backside.

BK
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I know more than 10 passes on one side will give you a bur on the back side and i have always followed it up by 10 passes on the other side to even it out.

but how do you  "debur the backside"?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Debur just like you would if you are sharpening both sides, just fewer strokes on the flat side.

Works for me...
BK
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I know more than 10 passes on one side will give you a bur on the back side and i have always followed it up by 10 passes on the other side to even it out.

but how do you  "debur the backside"?

Is that working for you? My M16-14M needs to be sharpened and never knew how to.

Thanks
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top