Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 8:54:49 AM EDT
Well, it's been a while, but I've "accumulated" a few new folders over the last couple of months:

I really like the BM Skirmish...a large folder, but very well executed.  I picked up one of the limited editions...so it's a kind of greenish/gold...I'd like to Oxy-clean the shiny gold divits down the road.

The Spyderco Manix looks like a real stout working blade...great design.

I'm giving my Emerson ' 98 Commander (it's been uniformed EDC for the past few years) a rest, and I'm going to try out the CQC-8 this year.

Lastly my small Spyderco Native (I have an older unserrated one).  I like to keep a folder in the weak-side pocket.  I still use my Military for uniformed carry and this will be for civi days.  I also like my weakside folder to be serrated for cutting the rough stuff.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice. The Manix is one tough blade.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree...the Manix is built like my Chinook...very robust and stout, but the blade is much better for cutting/utility work.  For the price it's a great working knife that's extremely stout.  The other thing I really like about Spyderco knives are the choils they have...really makes choking up for delicate work much easier and more comfortable.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I agree...the Manix is built like my Chinook...very robust and stout, but the blade is much better for cutting/utility work.  For the price it's a great working knife that's extremely stout.  The other thing I really like about Spyderco knives are the choils they have...really makes choking up for delicate work much easier and more comfortable.

ROCK6

Yes, they are both tanks, but, I agree, the Manix is a slightly better cutter and is very comfortable and controllable in the hand. The only folder that I have seen that has a lockup that I believe is stronger than these two spyderco blades is my Extrema Ratio M.P.C., which is an absolute brute of a folder,  but it is not as efficient of a cutter as the Manix because the edge is too thick. The blade is a quarter inch thick, 4.5 inches long of N690 cobalt steel which mates to a quarter inch thick lockback with a crossbolt, rifle style, supplemental locking system which basically turns the knife into a fixed blade. It is more of a folding prybar that you could cut yourself out of a railcar with. That is why I supplement it with my Al Mar S.E.R.E. 2000 for the more delicate cutting tasks.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top