Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 8/1/2005 12:00:45 PM EDT
High quality auto-knives (OTF) like Microtech.

Anyone have one?  I’d like one but with the restrictive laws they seem like a conversation piece or collectible.

Expensive, too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I got one, its made in China but I like the design and its lasted a few years.

Carry it daily.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Had plenty of auto knives over the years but never a Microtech. Way too expensive for a knife IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a UTX-70 and a Scarab.

They both rock and are top shelf quality wise. I carry the UTX-70 every day to work for opening boxes and it has never failed me.

I carry the scarab on weekends and Its awesome, I just wish it had something on it besides skateboard tape.

Check E-Bay
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Paragon Atko 11. IIRC, I paid about $130 for it (oh, to be flush again!). It'll take and hold an edge, and I use like a regular pocket knife (i.e., I don't baby it at all). It has stood up fine for 2 - 3 years. The only disconcerting thing about it is that for the blade to open smoothly, it has to be a bit looser in the handle than one expects from an expensive knife; however, it is functionally fine, and you can crank the blade down as tight as you want with a hex key.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Anyone have one?  I’d like one but with the restrictive laws they seem like a conversation piece or collectible.

Expensive, too.

CO law says "NO!"  

Get an Emerson. The wave feature will get the knife into action faster than an auto.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive, too.

CO law says "NO!"  

Get an Emerson. The wave feature will get the knife into action faster than an auto.

Well, no to carry but AFAIK you can keep one at home.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive, too.

CO law says "NO!"  

Well, no to carry but AFAIK you can keep one at home.

Hmmmmm. The page that has the Colorado Revised Statutes is down right now, but I will look it up when it is back.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had several auot knives, only microtech I've had is sitting in 10 peices in a drawer. It used to open when ever it felt like it in my pocket. My benchmades have worked flawlessly, (still do)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Have had an OTF Microtech for about 4 years, no problem.  My roommate has a Microtech dual action, heavy and big as hell, but he loves it.  I've also got a couple auto Paragons and Benchmades.  The only problem I've had with any of them was the bechmade, it's got a few screws that like to loosen.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#10]
ive got 2 benchmade  mel pardue autos and there great and cost around $130./$150 ..
aslo if you are worried about carrying something that is a no no, you might wanna check out some of the "ken onion"assisted opening knives, by kershaw, there slim great everyday knifes as fast as a auto that you can have for less than $50 i got mine for $39 in wallmart
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ive got 2 benchmade  mel pardue autos and there great and cost around $130./$150 ..
aslo if you are worried about carrying something that is a no no, you might wanna check out some of the "ken onion"assisted opening knives, by kershaw, there slim great everyday knifes as fast as a auto that you can have for less than $50 i got mine for $39 in wallmart

I got SHEISLEGEND one of those and she LOVES it.  She is not really into knives but they are handy for certain tasks and camping so I got her a Ken Onion.  It's a great knife.

I know autos aren't allowed for carry here.  TLG is checking (when the page is back up) to see if they are allowed at all (as in, even sitting at home in a safe or display case).

I would think that if you get a concealed carry permit you ought to be able to carry an auto knife.

Some laws are so stupid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a blades forum?

Oh well, that's the end of that thread.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Benchmade 9500 Elishewitz auto that I love. Well, I have two of them but  I have misplaced the other one and can't find it anywhere.

The mechanism broke on my lost one and I never sent it back to get fixed.  It was loose and opened just as fast by flicking my wrist, or faster.

but I still carry my other one every day and love it. Great knife
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a Benchmade 9500 Elishewitz auto that I love. Well, I have two of them but  I have misplaced the other one and can't find it anywhere.

The mechanism broke on my lost one and I never sent it back to get fixed.  It was loose and opened just as fast by flicking my wrist, or faster.

but I still carry my other one every day and love it. Great knife

I'm more interested in an OTF auto, but those sound cool too.

That's interesting about the speed versus a wrist-flick opening.

You can carry them around in Utah or just on private property?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive, too.

CO law says "NO!"  

What is a Wave Feature? I looked all over their site but couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive, too.

CO law says "NO!"  

They have some videos of it.  They open it as they whip it out.  Looks fast and cool.

video

knives
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a few, I don't get them to carry, just to have

I don't have any really expensive blades though, not automatic leastways
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Microtech is an excellent manufacturer.  If you buy one, you will not be disappointed.

I do often carry a Microtech L-UDT as a utility knife.

The Emerson "Wave" was mentioned.  There is no folder that is faster to deploy then a Waved knife . . . expecially an auto.  Autos have "CDI" factor (Chicks Dig It), but in reality are fairly slow to deploy.  I can deploy a "Tip Up Correct" folder from the pocket with no wave faster then most people can draw and deploy an Auto.

If you looking for "Cool" you can't carry, buy a Microtech.  If your looking for "Cool", "Fast" and "Able to Carry", go Emerson Wave
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive, too.

CO law says "NO!"  

See the little metal piece on the spine of the knives that stick up and forward? When the kife is folded, that "wave" is in a position such that when you pully the knife out of you pocket, it catches on the lip of your pocket and flips the blade out. Very slick.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Microtech is an excellent manufacturer.  If you buy one, you will not be disappointed.

I do often carry a Microtech L-UDT as a utility knife.

The Emerson "Wave" was mentioned.  There is no folder that is faster to deploy then a Waved knife . . . expecially an auto.  Autos have "CDI" factor (Chicks Dig It), but in reality are fairly slow to deploy.  I can deploy a "Tip Up Correct" folder from the pocket with no wave faster then most people can draw and deploy an Auto.

If you looking for "Cool" you can't carry, buy a Microtech.  If your looking for "Cool", "Fast" and "Able to Carry", go Emerson Wave

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to get an Emerson.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive, too.

CO law says "NO!"  

See the little metal piece on the spine of the knives that stick up and forward? When the kife is folded, that "wave" is in a position such that when you pully the knife out of you pocket, it catches on the lip of your pocket and flips the blade out. Very slick.

ouray.cudenver.edu/~resimon/EmersonKnives.jpg

Thanks TLG,

I'm going to get an Emerson.  Any suggestions on the various models?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't own an emerson with the wave feature but, while training at Crucible I saw a number of folks bring them to classes.  
When drawing while under stress the hook tended to shred both hands and pants.  The feature also forces you to draw to the rear of your pocket to open the blade and sweep your arm back. This ends up being an exagerrated movement when going fast. I'd rather stick to a thumbstud/wheel than trust the edge of a pocket to do my work for me

IMHO It seems to be a better practice to draw the knife up from the carry pocket, index the knife against your body and then open while transitioning to a guard.  That way you maintain control of the knife and keep all your extremeties tucked in close to your body where you want them for protection.

YMMV

Blitz
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive, too.

CO law says "NO!"  

Thanks TLG,

I really like the two the I posted a pic of. The top one is the Super SOCFK and the bottome one is a CQC-8. The problem is that both of them are too long for legal carry in CO. The regular sized SOCFK is legal for carry in CO. I used to have one, until I lost it. It looks just like the top knife, just a bit smaller.

The SOCFK knife comes in both a tanto point (like mine), and a spear point. The SOCFK is only sold through one distributor, who had a hand in designing the knife.

www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html

www.tacticaledge.com/prodefault.htm

www.tacticaledge.com/socfk.html
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Guys here, just go to www.pvk.com and click enter pvk knives, all the autos you'll ever need at good prices too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I don't own an emerson with the wave feature but, while training at Crucible I saw a number of folks bring them to classes.  
When drawing while under stress the hook tended to shred both hands and pants.  The feature also forces you to draw to the rear of your pocket to open the blade and sweep your arm back. This ends up being an exagerrated movement when going fast. I'd rather stick to a thumbstud/wheel than trust the edge of a pocket to do my work for me

IMHO It seems to be a better practice to draw the knife up from the carry pocket, index the knife against your body and then open while transitioning to a guard.  That way you maintain control of the knife and keep all your extremeties tucked in close to your body where you want them for protection.

YMMV

Blitz

Emersons of course do have a thumbwheel, so you also have the option to use the knife as ou described. The wave just gives you another option.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive, too.

CO law says "NO!"  

Thanks TLG,

My   .02 A cold steel Ti-Lite works the same way as the emerson I like it too
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Your right, it does.  Cold Steal violated Emerson's Patent.

For a guy that likes to talk about "Truth" and "Honor", in my opinin he wouldn't know either if they jumped up and bit him in the ass
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I just went to Lynn Thompson's web page.  Holy Christ!!  Half his knives are blatant ripoffs of other makers knives.

I saw the "Black Sabel" and about wanted to throw up.  If that's not a rip off of the Brian Tighe  "Tighe Stick", I don't know what is.

Photo by Plaza Cutlery

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I like Cold Steel.  I have a Peace Keeper and a Safe Keeper II.  I think they make awesome knives.

I am also really happy with Kershaw (the one knife I almost always have with me is the Amphibian) but I have a feeling the serious knife aficionados don't consider Kershaw high end.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Microtech ultratech.  Simply awesome quality knife.  I also like Masters Of Defense.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top