Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/17/2005 10:12:29 AM EDT
Is there a good pic thread somewhere for me to take a look at some different kind of blades?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you have in mind...here's a few...

Large Fixed Blades:

Small Fixed Blades:

Some Large Choppers:

Folders:

Odds and Ends:

A few Multitools and SAKs:

A couple of Tomahawks:

My Fixed Blade EDC (Mad Dog Pygmy ATAK at top):

Cheers

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Great collection, I am looking for a blade similar to the one you have at the top of the page.  Do you know of any pic threads, where show their blade and talk about the makers?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem...line up from left to right:

Mission MPK (A2 Steel not Titanium): Mission Forum

Ranger Knives' RD7: Ranger Knives Forum

Chris Reeve Project 1:  Chris Reeve Forum

Fehrman Knives Fire Strike: Ferhman Website, there's some good discussions on Blade Forums about Ferhman knives

Busse Steel Heart II (Older A2 steel):  Busse Forums

TOPS Knives, 107E Steel Eagle:  No forums I know of, but again, Blade Forums has discussion if you search...here's their website:  TOPS Knives

Swamp Rat Knife Works, Desert Camp Tramp:  Swamp Rat Forums

They're all good blades, some have different features, adavantages/disadvantages...mostly user dependent.  Of my collection, I don't do much hard work on my Busse anymore (they make the newer ones with their own INFI steel...supposedly pretty good stuff; nor do I use my CR Project 1 much (had it refinished recently)...both are too costly to replace if lost/confiscated.  The TOPS is a good knife, but too pricy for just 1095 (although it has decent heat treatment).  The Mission MPK is the lightest of the bunch, more balanced as a fighter than strickly utility...great knife, and you can get a good deal if you look around.  My Desert Camp Tramp is another great knife...comfortable handle, good steel (cousin production of Busse)...great price.  The Ranger RD7 is one of the best deals though...a custom made knife for just under or around $100.00...comfortable design, stout blade.  Lastly the Ferhman Fire Strike...seems really light for the size, good design...I haven't had it long enough to really put it through its paces, but it's a great blade, the only downside is wait-time and cost.  Not pictured is my Randall #14 who is on vacation...again, pretty costly and extremely long wait times.

Don't forget the sheaths...the Busse, Camp Tramp, RD7 and TOPS all have custom after market sheaths (Kydex/Concealex).  The Ferhman, Randall and Project 1 have really good leather sheaths that they came with...one of the best standard sheaths for a knife was the MPK (Kydex, but a great ambi design).

The picture looks really good, but the Camp Tramp, MPK, RD7 and TOPS have all be used pretty hard, but the finishes have held up well (mostly chopping, battoning, trimming branches, choking up for small work, etc.)...I don't like to dig with knives even though many say they'll do fine...that's what a shovel is for

Hope this helps,

Forgot to add...there's a lot of other good knives out there that fit the 7-7.5" 'combat blade' category.

Cold Steel Recon Scout
Becker Knife and Tool BK7
Standard KA-BAR or the one in D2
SOG SEAL
Ontario's RAT7

I'm sure I'm missing a couple others, but all those knives listed would serve you well, some could be a little more abused than others, but for a combat blade...I wouldn't feel under-knifed with any of them.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's one of mine:

Emerson Custom Dagger
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top