Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 10:48:42 PM EDT
Looking to get a medium sized fixed blade, stuck between Becker BK 7 and the Gerber Silver Trident.  Is the Silver Trident really worth the money?  I looked at it in a shop, and it feels nice but wonder if its really worth the money, or would the becker do just as well.  This will be deploying to Baghdad  in January, so I really dont want crap.  Any advice will be helpful.  Also, I am left handed, and both are ambidextrous as far as sheaths are concerned.  That is a big issue.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You'd be even better off with a Swamp Rat Camp Tramp for $130.  As close to an industructable (yet good cutting) knife as it gets.  The Becker BK-7 would be second. I like to rough up the handles on my Beckers for better grip with 60 grit sandpaper.  I also remove most of one of the protrusions to the side of the "birds beak" on the end of the handle with a file, which makes it much more confortable.  The handle is a big complaint area on the Beckers, but after doing my mods I really like the handle.  Beckers are really good knives.  The main drawback I've seen (based on much feedback expressed at Bladeforums.com) is that they are a bit brittle and can break under extreme abuse.  But they still beat most save for Swamp Rats, Busses, Striders,  Simonich, Ferhman and other highend big user knives

The Gerber is unproven, expensive, and CM-154 is brittle in a large knife.  I wouldn't think it could match the performance of the O1 steel of the Becker.  See here also www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310114&highlight=silver+trident.  

Also, in particular note what Cliff Stamp (expert knife wrecker/tester says here).  Maybe the Gerber in 154CM is not so bad.  Get it if you like it.  I hear some Blackwater guys are carrying them:  www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312466&highlight=silver+trident
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top