Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/11/2004 11:24:49 AM EDT
Any craftsmen or knife guys out there who can do some work on my karambit? I would like to get a new back spacer installed, with a slight modification made.

I AM NOT WANTING ANYTHING CONVERTED TO AUTOMATIC. Just to get that out of the way.

I've got some borrowed pictures of what I would like to get done. Willing to pay for materials as well as your time!

ETA: There was a guy on Knifeforums.com who was doing some work, but he has since had issues on the family front, and is not able to do the work.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Help!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
No one out there has any machining skills they want to show off? I'm just looking for a new piece of aluminum with a couple holes drilled in it!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
What are you looking to have done?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I want to have the plastic backspacer replaced with one made out of aluminum, but with a small extension on the new piece. It's only 3/16" thick, but I don't have a 1" drill bit for the largest hole. I can send pictures if anyone thinks they can help.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
give me a couple of minutes and I'll give you some names
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Reese Weiland
http://www.reeseweilandknives.com/

Bandit Knives
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/dbrunne2/bancust.htm
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm curious - what do you want to do to it? I just picked one up recently. I love it, the only thing I would change would be to make the ring wider, and maybe put some re-inforcing metal inbetween the rings so it's more of one piece (so it won't flex)..

Doc
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Something like this one. I have the contact info for the artist on this knife, but he is no longer doing custom work due to some problems right now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:00:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Hot damn that is good lookin! Can you give me more specs on what was done? It looks like the middle pieces were replaced with titanium? And do my eyes decieve me, or was the ring widened as well?

Please, let me know if you find someone to do this kind of work for you. Just the ring widening and reinforcing steel would be enough for me to send money that way ...

Doc
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I am invisible here? Contact those knifemakers and ask them what you want, they
ll do it for you!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am invisible here? Contact those knifemakers and ask them what you want, they
ll do it for you!

No, you're not invisible. Waiting to hear back from StonerStudent.

Dr No, that spacer is aluminum, it is slightly wider, it does fill in the ring section. There is new Silver G-10 scales, which are wider than the originals, the titanium liners have been jeweled, and the blade and screws satin coated.

As soon as I hear back from a couple people, I'll post more info.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Lapp I spoke to the guy at work and he can drill the hole, I have a friend who has a Emerson and I'll see if he'll let me borrow it. I have some aircaft grade alumium and I'll see if I can get one made up. I'm not a knife maker so I don't want to take a chance of screwing up some one else's knife up. If you have a real knfe maker who can do the work that would be the way to go. But I like the set up you want so I'm going to try it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey Lapp I spoke to the guy at work and he can drill the hole, I have a friend who has a Emerson and I'll see if he'll let me borrow it. I have some aircaft grade alumium and I'll see if I can get one made up. I'm not a knife maker so I don't want to take a chance of screwing up some one else's knife up. If you have a real knfe maker who can do the work that would be the way to go. But I like the set up you want so I'm going to try it anyway.

If it would help, I can send you the knife. I was expecting to do that anyways for the person who could make the part. The piece should be about 3/16" thick, and maintain the same contours as the original one, only with the addition of the ring section and thumb ramp on the end. I appreciate all your help so far!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#14]
StonerStudent:

I would be interested in this same piece, but without the thumb piece - just a smooth contour that goes with the ring. This weapon rides in my weak side back pocket underneat my spare magazine, cell phone, and flashlight, so anything sitting up higher will be a real PITA for me.

Keep me in the loop too, or I can contact one of those other folks and see what they say :)

Doc
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Doc,

If Stoner can get the part done, I will definitely let you know how it turns out. A simple piece of aluminum stock won't be quite as smooth as my custom job picture, but it will definitely help fill that gap in the ring section.

I love my karambit, I just can't figure out why Ernie would have made the ring into two sections like that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I was doing some research into this project and Bladetechs  Folding Karambit the ring is reenforced with stainless steel. I called my buddy to see if I can look at his Folding Karambit and I should know by Friday if I can do it or not.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#17]
We should also start to talk about cost. If everything works out and you're able to manufacture the part, I would like to compensate you for your time and materials. If you don't want to post it, please IM me about what you believe parts and labor should cost. I am open to suggestions, and I can provide you the price of the modifications which were made to the picture I posted if you would like a comparison.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top