User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 8/12/2004 8:23:32 AM EDT

Weight: 9 oz.
Blade Thick: 3/16"
Blade Length: 8 1/4" Carbon V Steel
Handle: 5 1/8" long Polymer
Overall Length: 13 3/8"

being carbon5 i am looking at getting one.  i have a recon tanto and  i would like to upgrade.
thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Trying to compensate for something?  Seriously, if you want a knife that size that will stand up to harsh use I would consider the Ontario/Randall RTAK or the Camillus/Becker BK9.  They may not look as cool as the Cold Steel, but they are built for performance.

Ontario/Randall RTAK
10" Blade
17 1/8" Overall
Blade-.1875" Thick
Ambidextrous sheath with gear pocket and lashing holes

Camillus/Becker BK9
Blade: 9" length
.210" thickness
0170-6C carbon steel
Black epoxy powdercoat
Weight: 18.25 oz

Just my .02
-Randy
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
that is a nice knife but not really what i was looking for.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They may not look as cool as the Cold Steel, but they are built for performance.

Quoted:
that is a nice knife but not really what i was looking for.

I figured that, but wasn't 100% sure if you wanted a high-CDI factor knife, or a functional tool.

How about this...

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Meaning i was looking for a knife to poke people with .  Not something to  chop with or cut my girlfriend with during sex.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the Cold Steel sword proof DVD (and more proof DVD) which shows pretty much every blade they carry go through various function/torture tests. I have no doubt in my mind its a great knife.

I've seen them bend these knives in a vice to over 180 degrees and not shatter, and retain shape. Stab through a car hood, stab through close to 2" of leather & cardboard, cut hanging slabs of meat, etc. and still retain a sharp point & edge (undamaged) without so much as just a marred finish.

It makes me wonder how well other manufacturers knives' would do on similar tests, but no other manufacture offers the video proof!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I know you probably don't want to hear this, but the OSS really is a strictly budget-minded knife. Everything about it just wreaks of cutting corners on quality of components, as well as manufacturing process.
Now, with that said, the Cold Steel Black Bear Classic is of the same design but made with top-shelf components and the workmanship borders on that of some custom makers -- a very quality piece at a screaming low price. Fwiw, don't go by the MSRP listed on the CS website, these can be found anywhere from $198 on up to around $260, it just depends on where you shop. FYI, there just so happens to be a NIB Black Bear Classic on sleezebay for $169 from a "5 Star" knife dealer, currently.  

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top