Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 11:54:31 AM EDT
I recently took a edged weapons class and it became obvious the faster deployment of a fixed blade knife over and folder.  I like folders, don't get me wrong, but the extra second or more to deploy the knife could be a big mistake as I'm sure you have all concidered.

So for now I'm looking for a smallish fixed blade knife (4 to 5" blade) with a decent handle and a good kydex (or similar) sheath.  I would most likely use in inside waitband carry, but concided a neck lanyard as well for some occasions.

Anyone have experience with the Kobun by Cold Steel?   Any other reccomendations will be appreciated.  Would like to keep the cost under $100, hopefully way under.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Congradulations on your graduation from folders to fixed blades. The fixed blade fighting knife is a serious defensive tool and with the proper training can be just as effective as the handgun at extreme close quarters.

In a 4-5" knife for IWB carry I would reccomend the SOG Pentagon. It was my primary carry blade for several years until I recently acquired a CRKT Hissatsu. The Penatgon is a 5" dagger with one straight edge and one serrated edge and comes with a kydex IWB sheath. It is a well made knife of AUS-6 steel and is very tough. It features a flared, non-slip Kraton handle and is well balanced and fast in the hand. The Penatgon retails for about $105, but can be bought for around $70.

I would not advise the Kobun as a serious carry knife. Cold Steel makes some excellent knives, but as one of their cheaper offerings, the Kobun uses 420 steel which as not as strong as other steels, and doesn't hold an edge very well.

P.S.
If you really want the Kobun, the original version with the blade made of AUS-8A steel is on the closeouts section of their website. AUS-8A is much better than 420 and this is the version one I would buy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Triburst1: Good suggestion!  I looked the the SOG Pentagon, looks and feels well built and the kydex sheath should be useable, so I bought one!

I can see how this may end up like rifles, just need one more.....  and then another.    It's another addiction, you could have warned me!   LOL

Seriously, thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You're welcome. The Pentagon is a great choice in an everyday defensive knife.

You are right about the addiction of fighting knives. I have 9 or 10 now and I am currently aware of about 20 more that I need. Our support group meets Thursdays at 8:00 pm if you would like to join us.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Dozier K1 "general utility".

Nice safe length & name -- harder for a DA to pick on you with a "general utility" than a "neck ninja" or "hunter-killer" named knife.

It's my "not at work" EDC.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm getting the hebie-gebies waiting for my SOG Pentagon, had to look over the whole drawer full of knives just to calm down.   Damn, I bought a lot of odd folders over the years, some of them scrimshaw floders just for looking at, some have never been carried, some just because!  Also couple nice fixed blade hunting knives, and a couple heirlooms from now departed relatives..  

Where on the internet can I see the Dozier K1 knife?   A search just listed forums and such.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top