Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/1/2004 5:52:34 AM EDT
Just a quick question for those of you who carry IWB.  What is your preferred method: reverse grip, edge forward for a Keating style drawpoint, or in the forward sabre style.

I find I am liking the defensive attributes of the drawpoint method.  

Let's talk,
Mike
suburban cowboy
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Weclome to ar15.com.

The only knife I carry IWB is an SOG Pentagon which is a 5" dagger with one straight and one serrated edge. I carry it at an angle at the left side of the small of my back for a reverse grip draw.

My prefered method of carrying a fighting knife is blade upside down with the edge facing rearward in a high riding sheath. This style of carry has several advantages. First of all it is much faster than IWB, and requires less motion making it less noticeable to draw. With tradtional IWB carry, you have to reach up under your shirt, down to grasp the knife, and up again to draw.  With an upside down carry, you draw the knife in a reverse grip with the blade tucked behind your forearm making it much harder for your opponent to track your blade. You can also draw the blade and bring it forward in a crossing slash all in one motion. It is also easier to conceal a larger blade with this style of carry. I have no problem concealing my 7" CRKT Hissatsu www.crkt.com/hissatsu.html under an untucked T-shirt. It is also more comfortable than a smaller balde carried IWB.

What kind of knife do you carry. It is nice to have someone new interested in carrying a serious knife for serious purposes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi 3brst1,
I played around with the method you described and found it works well for concealed carry.  Are you a lefty, or is the knife a compliment to a pistol?

I like to carry at almost 3:00 IWB, slight forward cant, edge forward.  I don't cover the knife with a shirt.  The draw is straight reverse grip edge forward defensive stance.  You can check to the outside with the off-hand and filet, or cat's claw to the inside and trap the offending limb.  The cat's claw can continue in the circle and the blade rotates to edge on meat to get nasty.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I am right handed and I carry my primary fighting blade on my left side to compliment the pistol on my right. My standard carry gear is a GLOCK 19(15+1) in a Blade Tech IWB with the spare 17 round mag carried in a Fobus mag pouch on my left with my knife just in front of the mag. I also carry a Kel-Tec P-32 in my left front pocket, and a 4" folding knife clipped on my right front pocket for general cutting chores. My Surefire G2 rides tucked in front of my G19 in the small hollow under my belt created by my IWB holster.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#4]
triburst1,
Sounds like you have your gear squared away!

This morning I clipped a left-handed Spydie Endura in my right pocket and practiced snap openings for reverse grip.  Seemed to work fine; draw, snap, thumb cap.

Mike
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top