Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2004 2:48:49 AM EDT
I see a lot of auto knives for sale here and other places these days, including very high dollar tactical models. Who buys these, and do they get carried?

Can cops get away with carrying an auto knife on the job or off? Are autos legal for personal carry in any of the 50 states?
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#1]
every state has its own laws on carrying auto knives.
for cops it would depend on the dept, but some cops do have them. and most cops have some sort of 1 handed tactical folder.

what are the high dollar tactical models? benchmade ?
i would say mostly knife nuts are going to buy high dollar knives, of any type. but those that carry them are prolly few, mostly because of state laws.
in kali autos are illegal to carry(felony), but i know one woman who has one for self defense purposes (dont know if she actually carrys or not). a concealed handgun is less of a problem(misdeamenor) but still illegal.

with all the 1 handed openers now, why bother spending the extra money on an auto, or have to deal with state laws and cops if they find one on you.

autos are fun and sexier than your average knife, but a 1 handed tact knife will open just as fast if not faster (depending on the user), even if its slower, does a few milliseconds mean much ?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
In California auto with blade under 1.5" or thereabout is legal.  Of course, there's not much to work with other than opening letters or boxes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Here in AZ autos are kosher to carry. I own several autos, and rotate what i carry depending on my needs. In TX autos are illegal to carry, and i think its illegal to even own one (texas statute - 46.05. Prohibited Weapons. (a) A person commits and offense
  if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures,
  transports, repairs, or sells... (5) a switchblade
  knife... (d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution
  under this section that the actor's conduct: (1) was
  incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife,
  springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an
  antique or curio...)
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
In the great state of Kentucky, I can carry any size or type of automatic knife with my CCDW license.
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one I picked up awhile back, it never sees much use.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#6]
In my state anyone can buy or own one but only law enforcement can carry them.  "does a few milliseconds mean much?"  Maybe not but just like you said they are sexy and have that highly overlooked cool factor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Dilly?

I thought you were talking about ice cream.

My bad.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't endorse their carry for SD since opening one is a fine/complex motor skill and very difficult to due under stress.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't endorse their carry for SD since opening one is a fine/complex motor skill and very difficult to due under stress.

Feh, I'll stick with a fixed blade, and a thumbhole folder for back up. The cool factor is not worth the likely legal hassle should it ever become necessary to use an auto in the worst extreme.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Would you feel the same about scale release autos? They certainly don't require fine motor skills.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]
in TX you can collect them, just dont get caught carrying them.

Many of the other Volunteer and Paid fireman also carry an push button knife ( try opening a typical one hand opener with a thickly gloved hand).  I have high end autos with 3 to 4 inch blades, but I keep a small, cheap california legal auto in by bunker gear and in my jumpsuit.
I can whip out the blade of my benchmade griptillian axis lock quite quickly, but not wilh a glove on.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I carried one in the Air Force.

Unfortunately, here in Colorado, they're illegal.  I'm not going to jeapordize my concealed HANDGUN permit by carrying an automatic knife.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top