Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/15/2003 10:36:10 AM EDT
I know several of states ban them, and a lot of folks consider them weapons. But I dont know anyone who carries one. I have a few 'classics' as collector's items, but never in my wildest dreams would I consider wearing one and pretending to be a centurian, a knight, or a cavalry dude. So, whats the BFD?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps a trip here: www.bugei.com/index2.html, to watch Mr. Williams' Tameshigri video clips, may provide a different perspective on the subject.....

Picture your torso or arm in place of the goza.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, Wilson, I can see you're impressed with the samurai stuff. But that's not the point. Any long sharp blade can do that. In fact, any weapon, blade or not can cause havoc if the person is trained to use it. Hell, a baseball bat in the right hands can make a bloody, and deadly mess.

Im simply asking why the big deal about swords? No one carries a sword nowdays. No one needs a sword on his horse or his chariot. No one fights a war with long blades. Im still a bit curious what the big deal is. They just seem like collector's relics to me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Simple.

Thier is no National Sword Assocaiation.  Nobody in the legislature represents the interests of sword owners.  Any time some liberal politician decides that swords should be regulated in some way, few people oppose the legislation.

Still, I am not aware of ANY states that ban them - which ones do?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, Wilson, I can see you're impressed with the samurai stuff. They just seem like collector's relics to me.

Actually, I'm more into Iaido and the art of using the sword as a way to keep fit and the mental discipline needed in order to perform well. It also helps your balance and teaches you how to relax, which transfers into shooting and making the "perfect" shot as breathing is essential to a good shooting technique.

While true, ya don't see many folks toting swords around nowdays and you have no use for them, doesn't mean they have no value, just no value to you. Others may look on them as a source of inspiration and a way to connect and learn from older cultures.

Then there is the fact that it takes a certain amount of skill to use one properly. BTW, there are plenty who enjoy not only the Asian sword arts, but fencing is also very popular, so just because you don't get it, many do.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:07:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Ahhh, Wilson. you havent read the thread topic. So, pay attention Grasshopper......

I totally agree with your assessemnt of the mental and physical benefits of the martial art. I studied TaiKwanDo after the Army and my son is now studying Shotokan. While not arts based on weapons, they still benefit the same way you describe. So, Grasshopper....been there/done that.

My question (go back and read it) is about the banning of swords. In Houston, you cannot openly carry one. Unless you are part of a historical demonstration, can cant even brandish one in public. The Texas Rennaissance Festival, one of this country's largest, allows open carry as part of the festival, and demonstations, but outside the gate, its a no-no. Many other political jurisdictions have the same regulations. Basically, no allowance of open carry of long swords.

Im just curious why, whats so scary about it? Sure, its an anacronism, but are the authorities concerned some fellow wil lop off someone's head? They are just too inconvenient, they cant be concealed, and it makes no sense to me. But then again, opposing the 2nd amendment makes no sense to me either.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I didn't actually get that from your original post, guess I should consider myself lucky as I frequently tote my "iaito" training sword to class on my scoot and was unaware of the newer laws you have referred to in your latest post.

Although not for real use, only training, it is made in Japan and quite "expensive" ($600+) and should some cop take a dislike to it we're gonna have a problem, 'cus I ain't parting with it.

Guess I have some reading to do, any links to these new laws ya know of?

Mike    
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#7]
That swordsmanship was impressive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
---snip---

In Houston, you cannot openly carry one. Unless you are part of a historical demonstration, can cant even brandish one in public. The Texas Rennaissance Festival, one of this country's largest, allows open carry as part of the festival, and demonstations, but outside the gate, its a no-no. Many other political jurisdictions have the same regulations. Basically, no allowance of open carry of long swords.
---snip---

In Texas

Except for daggers and dirks and double sided blades I don't think there's any restrictions here in CALIFORNIA!

I question the wisdom of bringing a sword to a gun fight as an attacker would have advanced knowledge of your sword before you would have knowlege of his pistol (or rifle).
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top