Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 9:27:23 AM EDT
Anyone know anything about the Randall series made by Ontario??

3 knives IIRC.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like any more info also...

Randall's Adventure & Training's knife collaborations with Ontario Knife Co.
The Ontario RAT7 is a survival / utility knife designed by the professional survival training team Randall's Adventure & Training (RAT) and manufactured exclusively by Ontario Knife Co.
Designed for: Wilderness Survival - Military Operations - Law Enforcement - Utility Use - Hunting, and any other task requiring a sheath knife comfortable enough to be carried full time.
Specs:
*Overall length: 12 inches
*Cutting edge length: 6.5 inches
*Steel: 1095
*Maximum thickness: 3/16"
*Weight: 13.2 ounces
*Full flat grind
*Phosphate finish
*Canvas Micarta handle slabs
*Slabs secured with three screws
*Thumb grooves in spine
*Extended pommel
*Cordura sheath w/ gear pocket and Kydex blade insert from SpecOps Brand

store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?ONRAT7

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
SULACO2, I bought a Rat-7 today off e-Bay for $80.00.

I think that's a good deal.

Everyone I talked to said Randall w/ Ontario, how could you go wrong.

Will post impressions upon delivery and evaluation.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
OK guys, first let me say, I've never "impulse" bought a knife.  I usually do a ton of research, like I started here.
But as has been said, I read of the knife and had the same feelings "Randall and Ontario, how could it be wrong?"

So I ordered, here:
store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?ONRAT7
They have a 30 day money back guarantee, and I figured that minimized my risk.  As you can see that's their image I lifted and used in my earlier post.  And, look at the date on that post, I ordered the knife the 18th, it arrived on the brown and yellow Christmas truck today the 20th.  MD to NY in 2 days w/ no extra shipping?  They're good.  So I'll give credit where credit's due.

Before I tell you how "right" it is, a little background.  I collect.  I DO NOT have an extensive collection, however I do frequent shows, I do "follow" the trends in knifemaking and collecting in "Blade" and "Tactical Knives". I haven't found a forum, yet though, outside of this one.
I've seen high end knves, I've handled high end knives, I've owned and own high end knives.  Note I DID NOT sat "custom" own those too, but not as much exposure.  EK, Benchmade, Cold Steel all sit in my safe.  I'm no "one's as good as the ather" or "they're all the same" kind of guy. I own a Busse Steel Heart.  $300 dollar knife, that was gifted to me.  It is designed as a workhorse!!!  And that's evident in it, the SECOND you pick it up.
Its virtually a sharpened pry bar, I mean that in the best way possible(sorry Busse).  Sadly it has a "cheesy" kydex sheath.  Its not well fitted, not even enough to hold the knife in it upside down, and there's no tension adjustment possible, its riveted.
The sheath aside, I could not bring myself to use the knife for its intended purpose, so like a caged bird, my Busse sits still, thirsting for use, and freedom.  I've owned Cold Steels Tanto, loved it, good use out of that until I lost it.  Benchmade's Nimravus.  Nice knife, but a little lite for campcraft/woodland use, all arm, no heft.  A CRKT bowie, its nice, it sits in the Cherokee for those nightmare situations, but is a little thin, not a chopper, and is shiny like a show knife.  Nice knife though.  Etc. Etc. I've had and carried a lot of knives searching for "the one knife"(... to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them... sorry I got off track)
Either the knives are too expensive to work w/, or they're not enough knife, whether its the design, or otherwise.
This knife, the more I think about it, the more I realize what a "score" it is.  It's no "Yarborough" so let's get that out of the way, its no "Steel Heart" as mentioned earlier.  It's also less than a third the price.  I know, I know "you get what you pay for", I'm not ignorant to the differences in blade steels, blade designs, or even manufacturing idiosyncracies.  But sometimes a good compromise can be found and I just found mine.

That's it, minus the packing padding, new in box.

That's it new, out of the box.

That's a full 3/16" for the entire length of the spine.  Not too thick, but, thick enough to make me comfortable, and I'm into overkill.  Walks a fine line between prybar and knife, no 1/4"er, like Busse's Steel Heart but it does feel stout, very stout, solid Knife, awesome.

The thumb grip serrations are not sharp enough to be uncomfortable, but are enough to add practical grip for the thumb in close work, when support/reinforcement's needed.  They compliment the "choke-up" notch forward of the hilt very well.

The sheath design is good.  Its a Spec-Ops Brand sheath.  If you're not fmiliar w/ their stuff its awesome.  Very tough, very well thought out, and very "finished"  beautiful sheath guys.  Nice choice on Randall/Ontario's choice, and just points out the attention to detail payed on this one.

In addition to the SPEAR/MOLLE attachment points, the sheath has a good old fashioned belt loop, detail.

The Kydex lining in the sheath's a nice addition.  It gives good rigidity to the Cordura sheath, but is kept quiet from branches/got'cha vines by the cordura.

The steel is not one of the new hi-tech ones, in fact its pretty low tech, 1095.  It doesn't do everything.  But then, neither do I.  It should hold an edge, and take an edge back.  That's gotta be where the makers saved the most of their money, because they skimp NOWHERE ELSE!!
Nowhere are you going to find a knife for this price w/ this many features and this much thought.  
The serrations are perfect, the finger notch forward of the hilt lines up perfectly w/ them  The balance is right forward of the hilt, awesome.

The handle material, is Linen Micarta, a material usually reserved for higher end knives.  I have always had difficulty finding good grips.  This one fills the hand  Mine are not small, but they're not huge either.  They are somewhat thin, but my fingers are long. (ha, ha, I know, I know, I've heard all of the jokes before...screw you)  Both sides of the grip have the same size allen head screws, truely ambi, no nut and bolt here, they're mirror images, they also allow take down to the raw blade for cleaning.  Awesome grip, awesome size.

The pommel, a true skull crusher.  You want to call it a hammer, call it whatever you want.  The important thing is it is not covered w/ nice mushy rubber or leather, or whatever have you, its the same steel in the blade.  Tremendous.  Which brings me to...
Full tang construction.  No narrowing here.   For toughness beat that. Huge.
Oh yeah, nice lanyard hole.

The finish is a good one, no big perjoratives here.  Awesome would be too much.  To my untrained eye it looks like a parkerizing.  It soaks oil like a sponge.  That's good.  No expensive coatings like Black T etc.  Don't get me wrong, those coatings ARE awesome.  But, when they start to wear you can't just retreat them w/ a can from Brownells in your own oven.  This one you can.  Its a working knife, that allows virtually 100% ownwer maintenence.  I like that.  No shipping, no waiting, Strip it then coat and bake it 123, or let it wear and remember that old Ka-Bar sheeen.

A sheath w/ a detachable pouch lid, that allows you to change the size of the pouch, a leg tie down w/ a plastic spring keeper, and a kydex liner.  The snaps are solid, not pull the dot, but very secure.  The sheath alone would have to cost 30 bucks through Spec-Ops.  In fact my only complaint about the sheath is a personal one.  The snap opens to the rear for a right hand wearer, when worn on the right hand side.  So one can not "swipe" the snap open, then pull the blade forward.  It requires hooking the snap, and pulling forward, then pulling the blade.  Small, I can live w/ it, or I'll have the snap strap re-attached the other way.  Small detail.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
As I've said, I've carried, and used many knives.
All of them fell short or overshot, to some of their credit.  Some I bought but never wanted to "mar".  I know that's silly but hell, when I make enough, I'll chop fire wood w/ a custom Randall military, 60's era.  Until then, I'm going to sissy some of them.  This knife will get used well, if it PERFORMS as well as it SEEMS like it will.  These are my 1st impressions from having seen and held it.  After some fieldcraft, I'll know better whether she's a performer.
Based on my 1st impressions, impressions I've had of other knives, this one will be at my side for a long time.  I WANT to use this one.
It feels like the difference between a good ol fashion 1911, and a full built racegun.  This one is plain jane and i like it.  She'll always go bang.

I hope any of this helps I hope anyone enjoyed it.  Should any of  you get yours, let me know, I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Everyone has different tastes, opinions, needs.  If my impressions are opposite of yours and you get stuck w/ a knife you don't want or don't enjoy as much as I enjoy mine then sincerely, I apologize.  But if you enjoy or appreciate yours 1/2 as much as I do mine, good for you.

S2
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
SULACO2, awesome post my friend!!!

Got mine today and I CONCUR with everything you've said.
All your comments are dead-on same as mine.

This thing is awesome, especially for the money.

Note that the handles, linen micarta, stay tactile even when wet.

And my Swiss multi tool fits perfectly in the sheath outer pocket!!

Mine came without a very sharp edge but, I fixed that it shaves now.

I'm happy!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad you liked it.

Awsesome, the linen Maicarta's are what I would have asked for if I was dsigneing it, awesome material for a work knife, tactile in all conditions.  W/ a little weathering they darken from that khaki to a deep rich Brown/OD, even better used.  

/S2
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I personally own a RTAK, which is also a good model. The design was kind of stolen from Newt Livesay but that is a story by itself. I do own a Busse Steel Heart and I beat that knife with a vengeance all the time. The Busse is a personal favorite of the pair, and is a better knife IMHO. I don't feed guilty using it either I feel that the second I start saying "That knife cost to much to use" I am allowing knife makers everywhere to slide in their quality. Since a knife maker knows his knife is going to be used hard I feel he or she is more inclined to make a better product. The cost of $300+ is too much for some and I can definitely sympathize. The cost of the Randall line from is around $100. for each model. This is a lot easier on the wallet for many. Ontario surprisingly has put out some very decent knives for the cost, Bagwell's and the Adventure line is a perfect example of that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you, SULACO2, for identifying my next knife purchase!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thank you, SULACO2, for identifying my next knife purchase!

Remember to post back and lmk what you think.

Enjoy.

/S2
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#11]
A place I like is Bladeforums.com
A place I love is Usualsuspect.net
I LOVE KNIVES.

I am digging this knife.  For anyone who has a big itch to scratch but does not have the loot for this knife may I suggest the Crewman from Becker.  Check out Roger at knifeworks.com.  He will have what you need to your door in three days.  Great prices too.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top