Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/20/2003 3:06:58 PM EDT
just curious if anyone here owns benchmade products and what you think of them. i've been thinking seriously of getting a couple of their automatics, but just two of these would set me back over $400 dollars. OUCH! are they worth that kind of money???
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Emerson-designed CQB (I forgot the name) that is my everyday carry.  It's fine.  I'm not sure if the tanto blade is best for utility, and it scares some people, but it is sturdy and has served my needs very well.  I also have the AFO automatic.  I got a great deal on it, but I don't use it, mostly because I don't care for the aluminum scales (cold!) plus it's not worth the hassle of people asking, is that legal?

I think the Benchmade knives are nice.  It's up to you whether having an automatic is worth it or not.  I got mine because I could.  It appears you live in OR so you are covered legally.  My AFO has a little sliding safety and it snaps out everytime I press the little button.  After awhile, the novelty wears off.  At least it did for me.  I can snap out my CQB faster, but that's not the point.  Unfortunately, the mail-order place in OR that I bought it from has gone belly-up.  If you haven't played with one, try to find a store that carries them and see.  There is something special about having an automatic knife.  It's nifty.  It may not be practical, but if you can afford it and it's legal for you, then why not?

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
would i have all of these it they were not?

ya ya i know there all not Benchmade but there is alot there. I'm a really big fan of the Axis lock. I think there almost as fast as an auto and i can close the knife with one hand. I also carried a fixed blade Benchmade on my field gear when I was in the Army.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got an Emerson designed CQC-7 Benchmade.  It has been my EDC knife for 6 years.  This knife has never, ever failed me.  The liner lock is still in great shape, and the knife locks up tight.  Best $85 I spent for a knife (got a great deal on it.)

I want to get another knife to carry EDC as well (my current secondary is a Spyderco.)  The knife I want is the Emerson SOCFK.  I think that is one bad ass knife.

I'd buy another Benchmade.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have the Emerson-designed CQB (I forgot the name) that is my everyday carry.  It's fine.  I'm not sure if the tanto blade is best for utility, and it scares some people, but it is sturdy and has served my needs very well.  I also have the AFO automatic.  I got a great deal on it, but I don't use it, mostly because I don't care for the aluminum scales (cold!) plus it's not worth the hassle of people asking, is that legal?

I think the Benchmade knives are nice.  It's up to you whether having an automatic is worth it or not.  I got mine because I could.  It appears you live in OR so you are covered legally.  My AFO has a little sliding safety and it snaps out everytime I press the little button.  After awhile, the novelty wears off.  At least it did for me.  I can snap out my CQB faster, but that's not the point.  Unfortunately, the mail-order place in OR that I bought it from has gone belly-up.  If you haven't played with one, try to find a store that carries them and see.  There is something special about having an automatic knife.  It's nifty.  It may not be practical, but if you can afford it and it's legal for you, then why not?

Good luck!

thanks for the advice, guys. i think i'm committed. just got ahold of one of their catalogues and they do indeed seem very well made. their customer services looks pretty good too, so i'll probably sink $400 into a couple automatics here soon. their headquarters, it turns out, is just 5 miles from my house.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're buying directly from Benchmade, you're going to pay top dollar.  Try the following sites, and you might be able to save quite a bit...

www.sableco.net
www.knifeoutlet.com

Edited to add than I don't know the legalities of purchasing an automatic knife from an out-of-state seller.  It's not legal for me to own one in my state, so I've never had to deal with this issue.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely.  I own several and they are of the highest quality.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
You might try Phoenix Armory in Oregon City -- I'm not sure if he carries automatics or not, but he (Shane) does have Benchmades.
414 S. Beavercreek Rd. # 713
Oregon City, Oregon 97045
Ph:   503-655-4086
www.phoenixarmory.com/
HTH
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 Benchmades; the 9000s, and both of the Nimvirus's, as seen below:
http://file:///C:/Program%20Files/Canon/ZoomBrowser%20EX/Image%20Library%20One/Knives/3knives.jpg
I highly recommend them, as they are top quality.  Having the automatic is really handy for one handed operation, although the linerlocks can also be readily accessed with one hand after some practice.  I guess it depends on what you are going to use the knives for...although different styles are designed for specific purposes (hunting, fishing, tactical, etc.) the reality of it all is that some folks don't care about that; they buy a blade because they like the looks or the style.  Bottom line is that they want to be able to cut something with it.  I however, carry different knives depending on the situation at hand.  You won't go wrong with Benchmade.

P.S. tried to transfer the image according to the directions, no luck...any suggestions?
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top